Innovative class advances opportunities in production

Alex Mackle

Senior Nesta Reale works on guitar skills

Junior Jordan Edmondson wanted more students to know about the new Music Production and Technology class. It is so much fun.

“You may think music is too hard,” he said, “but this class is an easy way to help you unlock your own musical expression.”

The class, piloted just last year with only student iPads and five desktop workstations, now operates with fifteen desktop stations and iPads in a repurposed computer lab in room 607.

Taught by Ms. Mitchell, the class aims to educate students in music creation and production, as well as provide a more accessible approach to music of the twenty-first century.

Students who do not come from the performance backgrounds of a typical musical student are encouraged to participate in this class as a way to express their love for music.

Ms. Mitchell said the class allows for students to start from a less intimidating standpoint than performance so that they can create music electronically, but also along the way learn the music theory and ear training behind it.

“The idea is that eventually the theory and the practice will come together for these students,” said Ms. Mitchell, who believes the class to be an extremely important tool for ensuring that an entire selection of the student population is not left behind because they may lack the skills of a traditional musician.

The new lab in which Music Technology is taught is also home to two other classes, guitar and Music Theory.

For all three of the classes, though, the new setup and additional technology is beneficial, as it allows students of different abilities to progress at their own speed.

“This way, while I’m teaching the class how to play a G on the guitar, I don’t have anyone falling into a coma in the back of the class because they can already play Jimi Hendrix,” said Ms. Mitchell jokingly.

Not only do students boast that the class is extremely interesting, and likewise very entertaining, but they also appreciate the career opportunities that the class helps to create.

“I’m not sure yet if it’s something I want to do, but it’s good to know that this class provides an option,” said Edmondson.

Graduates who took the pilot version of the class have gone on to pursue music production and technology degrees at universities such as Temple and Drexel.

Ms. Mitchell also shared that many of her current students who hadn’t previously considered the career are now exhibiting new interest.

While the class is only in its second year running at this capacity, Ms. Mitchell is hopeful that as more students learn about the class, more will take it.

The class is still in the early stages. But it’s just not about creating electronic music.

“There’s so much more to it and so many different fields within that,” Ms. Mitchell said. “The exposure is the most important because if you don’t get it now, how would you ever know if music production is for you?”