The Voyager

Filed under Opinion

Lost roots: the ineffectiveness of feminist movement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Organized by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott, the first conference dedicated solely to women’s rights was held at Seneca Falls, New York in 1848. Early women reformers, or feminists, addressed and fought diligently against social and institutional barriers that limited women’s rights, including family responsibilities, a lack of educational and economic opportunities, and the absence of a voice in political debates.

When speaking of gender equality, there was not just an imbalance harming women in the 1800’s. It would be naive to say that all men happily worked dawn to dusk doing actual physical labor. It was no walk in the park.

One thread that links several equal rights movements is their unwillingness to promote equality, prosperity, and fairness for all. They fight strictly for their race or gender. For this reason, they battle inequality with inequality and embody what they’re fighting against. Current feminists push for their “rights” and “equality” while degrading all men. Besides men being called sexist, ignorant, and pigs, there’s a laundry list of other names that feminists use to degrade men. Female activists have lost sight of what truly matters. At the University of Texas, female activist Jessica Lin thought of a ludicrous way to protest carrying concealed firearms on campus. Her movement called C**ks Not Glocks involved the distribution of 4,500 sex toys. Guns on campus apparently sparked a feeling of female degeneration. “In feeling free to talk about sex and the repression that we’ve all felt through masculine expectations, we’ve discovered that we can talk about gun ownership in many of the same words”, she said.

What she would accomplish by handing out sex toys to protest something totally unrelated to sexual matters is unclear. Not just men own guns, and not just men advocate for them.

The early feminist movement was a way for women to prove that they were of equal worth as men. They generated creative ways to demonstrate their competence. This current feminist movement is not a fight for equality. It’s an outrage and an embarrassment to women.

Current feminists are clutching onto old oppressions in a new time period. In 2018, 106 women  happily fill seats in the United States Congress. If one was to say that 106 women aren’t enough, I’d suggest they would motivate themselves to make an actual change and fill another of those 535 seats.

In 2018, women are not required to stay home and tend to children and household duties. In fact, they haven’t been required to do so for over a century. Dozens of companies, including Pepsi, have development and recruiting initiatives geared specifically towards women. Women were projected to account for 51 percent of the increase in total labor force growth between 2008 and 2018, according to the Department of Labor.

In 2018, it can be seen on college campuses and high schools that women quickly advance through the educational ranks. At Eastern, more female students are seen in Honors and AP classes than their male counterparts. English and Journalism teacher Mr. Bowne reported that he generally sees more female students in Honors and AP classes than males. “Girls also read more statistically than boys. They also generally write better, as a consequence,” he adds.

Women have just as much opportunity to accomplish and achieve as much, if not more, than men. Their only setback is the deep-rooted belief of nonexistent oppression and inferiority.

Oppression has little to no existence in American society today. I say that with awareness of black oppression, white oppression, and the women who feel oppressed when a man holds a door for them. We’ve come to a new age where oppression does not hold a majority in American society. There are no such restrictions that prevent women from voting or having an equal opportunity to climb the ranks. There are no Jim Crow laws, and no laws that restrict one from getting a job based on race or gender. Feminists and other social justice groups dwell on societal injustices from decades ago.

If you feel oppressed by the words “fireman”, “mankind” , “men”, “policeman”, or “delivery man”, you are part of the problem, not the solution.