Voorhees Township holds forum on school safety

Alex Mackle

Photo by Alex Mackle ’18

Hundreds of concerned community members turned out for a forum hosted by the Voorhees

Township Police department on the evening of February 26, nearly one week after the tragic school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Alex Mackle
Dr. Melleby responds to a question

Some of the most influential figures in local politics were present; administration from both Eastern and Voorhees school districts, Chief of Police Bordi, Mayor Mignogna, State Assembly-members Greenwald and Lampitt, and State Senator Beach.

Also in attendance were members of both Eastern and Voorhees administrations, and EEA teachers union representatives Mr. Colton and Mr. Lindenhofen.

Statements from Chief Bordi and Mayor Mignogna assured those in attendance that school safety is the departments’ top priority.

Following Bordi, Eastern High School Superintendent Dr. Melleby and principal Mr. Tull discussed the districts interest in furthering school safety.

It was announced that although they currently have access to the security camera system, the Voorhees Police Department would now have remote access to the entire camera system. They will also continue to have school safety drills, and will have class meetings, starting February 28, to speak about school safety with the students, and to make students aware of ways to better ensure their safety.

Alex Mackle
Voorhees Mayor Mike Mignogna speaks

Assemblyman Lou Greenwald followed with words on safety-based legislation that was officially introduced on February 13, not long before the Parkland shooting.

The overall tone of the meeting was tense, with countless individuals asking questions of the panel. One student, Senior Maddie Portnoy, stated that “I work for a politician,” and that the answers sounded fairly form-like.

Another community member praised administrative actions following the recent arrest of an Easter student.

These drills “need to be more and more,” said

Alex Mackle
Eastern Senior Maddie Portnoy

parent Sharon Goodfellow on the topic of drills in school, which was a point echoed by many other community members. As a result, guarantees of progress and were made by administrators and town committee- members.

One issue close to home for Eastern students is the issue of Physical Education teachers leaving doors propped opened. Mr. Tull and Dr. Melleby asserted that this is an issue that is being dealt with, where gym teachers do close and lock doors when their classes are outside.

Alex Mackle
Voorhees Schools Superintendent Raymond J. Brosel, Jr.

Assemblyman Greenwald proposed a zero-tolerance policy, where teachers are may be fired without pay if doors are left open in this manner.

Also a common theme was the proposition of metal detectors on school grounds, monitoring those who enter the buildings. Voorhees police recognized both drawbacks and benefits to this sort of initiative, with some drawbacks being cost, and the fact that it is not a be-all-end-all solution to school-violence.

Alex Mackle
Union Vice President Richard Colton takes notes, accompanied by President, Mr. Lindenhofen

Senior Ben Dias questioned the validity of safety procedures that are in place. Mr. Tull responded saying that the school can always improve, “and we need to be at that next step. We are evaluating what we do now, and are looking what we can do differently as we move forward.”

The cordial atmosphere of the meeting was a stark contrast from what many considered the volatile nature at the Eastern Board of Education meeting during the prior week, although many of the same parents returned for the forum, and a number of them also asked questions.

Alex Mackle
Russel Winsett, Stacey Morris, Andrew Moskowitz, and other members of Voorhees Township Schools administration

Town council member Michelle Nocito closed the forum by thanking all those in attendance, those who answered questions, and especially the students who were present.

“We are literally raising children in a time that we can’t understand. When I was growing up, the greatest threat to my safety was a fire drill, and that is an antiquated system.” She noted the bravery and importance of students.

Voorhees Township Police also discussed an upcoming staff-only drill to address shootings, “with the use of blanks.”

In response to the meeting on Monday, Eastern Superintendent Dr. Melleby said, “People have the right to express their opinions… [and] I thought it was a good meeting. We took some notes, and we are going to come back to try to improve the safety of the students.”

Alex Mackle
Mr. Tull responds to a question at the school safety forum