Eastern Alumni Offer Advice About College

With College looming just around the corner, most high school students are in a frenzy to ensure they’re on the right path to success. Here are what current college students would say to us, having learned from their former years in high school:

Chetna Thawani-Rutgers, New Brunswick’18 :

“It’s not about being “naturally smart,” it’s about working hard. In reality, I was the only one limiting myself because in high school, I always thought I wasn’t good at the sciences. However, I wanted to go to medical school despite my grades showing I wasn’t capable enough. When I sat down to study last year in college to take the MCAT, it was my last chance at this career, so i gave it my all and ended up getting a super high score. I realized I wasn’t an idiot after all. So definitely, I would advise that you guys not be afraid of hard classes, or hard subjects. Take all the AP classes you want! I honestly believe that anyone can learn anything, do anything, as long as they work hard for it and have faith in themselves. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself, because you’ll find out you’re smarter than you think you are. I wish I wasn’t afraid of taking more AP classes at Eastern, I wish I had taken more.”

Hannah Schuda Class ‘16
Pop tarts are not a food group lol. Eating vegetables is important.

Anthony Murphy – University of Nevada ‘21
Time management, time management, & more time management

Nicki Meskin – The College of New Jersey ’21

“I would say enjoy the moment and take a wide range of classes. That way you can get a better idea of what you like and what you want your major to be. Don’t stress out too much and  stay involved. In college, you have a lot more free time then you’ll think you have, but still make sure you stay on top of your work. Learn how to do things independently before you leave for college because when you hit college, you’re on your own. I would tell my former high school self don’t stress and enjoy the moment. I’m glad I joined the clubs I did and made the friends I did. I still wished I was back in high school.”

Diya Goyal – University of Pittsburgh ’21

“You want to make sure you’re studying until you know the material. Studying for 5 hours isn’t going to help you learn any material if this isn’t your learning style. So to study effectively, you have to really try out multiple ways of studying, and see what works the best for you.”

Jason Lipshutz-The College of New Jersey ‘10

My advice is: follow every word Bowne says, and you’ll make it in this crazy, mixed-up world.

Vania Myers- Syracuse University ’14

“To my previous high school self and high schoolers today, learn to manage your time better and stop pulling all-nighters for exams and essays. I would also  advise to take more AP classes so you can knock out some credits before going to college. From my experience, college is one of the best times to make new lifelong friendships and actually study what I’m passionate about. Most of my colleagues, including myself, changed their majors while they were in college, so be open minded! Take classes that seem random but interesting to you, and who knows, maybe it’ll be your new major or minor. While you’re in college, be responsible, but do things that are out of your comfort zone and have fun. You’re gonna be in college! Live a little.”

Kate Morgan  – St. John’s University’12
Smallest possible amount of debt > fancy school name on your degree. Where I went to school has never been a make-or-break thing when it comes to getting ahead. The amount of debt I’m carrying around from my fancy private school, though, has severely limited the risks I’ve been able to take

Ari Rosoff  – Stockton University’13
Get internships and do as many extracurricular activities as possible to build skills because the job market is very competitive. Also enjoy your college life. It’s a paradox; I know.

Jess Hague – McDaniel College’13
Remember to choose a school that’s right for you! Don’t be influenced by what your friends or family think is the best choice for you.

Bryce Rammler – Alfred University’11
I’m a little far away from that part of my life but I would say: There is no shame in using your schools counseling center or admitting that you’re overwhelmed by stress and workload. Anything from anxiety to depression can manifest and they are NOT signs of weakness. Do not be too proud to ask for help or think that you can just ‘get through it’.

Kaitlin McGee Class of ’17

My advice with college applications is to apply early because when you get caught up with school you’ll find yourself rushing to finish them last minute.
Also, don’t be upset if you don’t end up going to the school you wanted to go to. Sometimes the option you didn’t think you wanted will end up being the best decision you ever made.
When you start college don’t be afraid to sign up for different things. It’ll help you make those connections early that will benefit you throughout your college career.