New Changes at Eastern

New Website

Eastern’s website underwent a complete overhaul this past summer. The technology department at Eastern aimed to create a more user-friendly site for students and administrators.

Starting in April of 2017, ideas for the new website began with the primary goal to address the old website’s issues with communication.

Administrators can now communicate more effectively via the new design. Mr. Smart, the Director of Technology and Supervisor of Student Activities, said Eastern currently uses a “Blackboard Connect Product” but plans to switch to a “Blackboard Mass Communication Center Product” in the near future. “It is an improved way to communicate with the community, student body, and parents.”

The technology department also plans to release an Eastern app by the end of October.

Overall, according to Mr. Smart, the new website has garnered “positive reviews from faculty, the Board of Education, parents, and students.”

Filtered Water Fountains

This past summer, four new water fountains were installed near the 20 cafeteria, 700 hallway, 500 hallway, and media center. The installation of these new water fountains was prompted by “a need that Mr. Jeff Judge [the supervisor of maintenance] saw—people filling up their water bottles from the water fountains,” according to Mr. Tull.

Besides conserving water, Mr. Tull anticipates that these water fountains will save the school money.

Plans currently exist to install two more water fountains. However, Mr. Jeff Judge said, “The way the older fountains are designed, the newer ones weren’t fitting unless we redid the piping. So, we just put the ones in that had the same set up.”

In general, reactions to these water fountains have been positive with most enjoying their convenience and quality.

Enforced ID Policy

Enforcement of the ID policy has increased since the beginning of the school year. With this instruction, the administration hopes to “emphasize the importance of having it [one’s ID] and wearing it,” according to Mr. Tull.

IDs typically function to help police officers and school officials identify those who belong in the building. However, along with this, students will be required to scan their IDs to enter certain offices and rooms in the near future.

Mr. Tull said these changes are a part of “doing what we [the administration] can to make sure that we are creating a sense of safety.”

These changes can be seen as a result of the country’s growing awareness of violence in schools. Mr. Tull referenced the Sandy Hook and Parkland school shootings as especially influential in Eastern’s attempts for safety.

Students who fail to wear their IDs will face specific disciplinary measures: the first offense being a warning, the second offense being an administrative study period, and the third offense being an after school detention.

The administration hopes students will be compliant with the ID policy. “You never know,” Mr. Tull said, “if there is going to be someone outside the school or someone inside the school [who may cause disruption or violence].”