The Voyager

• May 16Girls Track are Conference Champions

Filed under Sports

Girls Soccer has historic season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Soccer has historic season

As has become the norm here at Eastern, the Girls Soccer team had another successful season.  Posting a 16-2 regular season record, the team was poised to make a deep playoff run.  “Leadership, talent, and dedication are the keys to our success,” said Coach Jamie McGroarty.

The leadership that has helped the team thus far primarily comes from captains Ashley Pietrafitta (‘19), Tori Accardo (‘19), Kelli McGroarty (‘19), Sara Brocious (‘19), and Marissa Feltoon (‘19).  Their leadership skills along with skill on the field provides a strong foundation for the rest of the team to build upon.

Another component of success that the team takes pride in is team chemistry.  “We’ve been practicing together 6 days a week so we’ve built a lot of chemistry through practice by pushing each other to do better and also having fun,” said Pietrafitta.  “Aside from on the field we have different team bonding events like pasta dinners and movie nights which are fun. But this year the team really did click from the seniors to the freshman we all get along great and have fun together.”

The season was not always smooth sailing; the Olympic Conference Schedule is always difficult.  The team had to play Shawnee and Washington Township, 2 of the best teams in the Olympic Conference, 4 times each.  Unlike previous years, the team had 2 players up front scoring goals, which allowed the offense to find success even against the strong competition.  The team would finish with an 8-2 conference record which was good for second place, and qualification for the Coaches’ Cup and NJSIAA South Jersey Group IV Tournaments.

The team would go on to win the Coaches’ Cup, defeating Washington Township in the semifinals and Shawnee in the finals.  After that victory, the team turned their attention to the playoffs.

Eastern won its first 3 playoff games handily, conceding no goals.  However, in the South Jersey Group IV Final, things would not be so easy, but the team would triumph yet again.  “Winning Group IV in penalty kicks was one of the best moments all season,” said Pietrafitta.  “The whole team contributed to the win and we were beyond excited to have won it for the first time in 12 years. Being down by a goal with 4 minutes left in regulation and coming out with the win was awesome.”

The team followed it up with an even greater accomplishment: a State Championship.  On November 18, the team won a 1-0 game at Kean University to take home the trophy, a perfect end to a great season.

With success on and off the pitch, the players felt satisfied as the season wrapped up.  Tori Accardo said, “This season has allowed all of us to make so many memories that we will remember forever. We have made history on the field but more importantly we made a family that will last forever.”