The Voyager

Filed under Sports

A look back at Roy Halladay’s Phillies tenure

Back to Article
Back to Article

Roy Halladay pitching at Citizens Bank Park during his tenure with the Phillies

Five long years after his retirement from Major League Baseball, one of the most storied pitchers of our generation was given the sport’s highest honor: induction to the Hall of Fame. That same night, three other astounding players, Mariano Rivera, Mike Mussina, and Edgar Martinez, received the same honor. During his magical time with the Philadelphia Phillies, Halladay threw two no-hitters; one was a postseason no-hitter and the other was a perfect game. Now that his greatness will be enshrined in Cooperstown forever, we can look back at just how much he accomplished in Philadelphia.

Following a three-team trade involving the Phillies, Blue Jays and Athletics, Halladay made the trek from Toronto to Philly, and started the 2010 season. Following his masterful season which saw him go 21-10 with a 2.44 ERA, and throw the 18th perfect game in the Modern Era, it was time to start the postseason. With a team record of 97-65, the Phillies won the NL East, and were set to face the Cincinnati Reds in the National League Division Series. In Game 1, which was Halladay’s first ever postseason appearance, he tossed the second postseason no-hitter in MLB history. Although the Phillies eventually fell to the future World Series Champion San Francisco Giants in the National League Championship Series, the team’s new ace took home the 2010 NL Cy Young award.

The next year, Halladay’s stats only became more impressive. In 33 games, he compiled a 19-6 record with a career-best 2.35 ERA. Chosen to start the 2011 All-Star Game in Arizona, he pitched two perfect innings, helping the NL team to a 5-1 victory. But when Ryan Howard grounded out to first base to end the 2011 Phillies’ season, the five-year era of success in the organization came to an end. Sadly, this also applied to Halladay. 2012 was the Phillies’ first non-winning season since 2002, and it marked Halladay’s first subpar campaign since 2004. Right shoulder discomfort, and eventually surgery, marred his final two major league seasons until his retirement during the 2013 offseason. On December 19th, 2013, Roy Halladay signed a one-day contract with the Blue Jays in order to officially retire with the team.

Unlike Rivera, Mussina, and Martinez, Halladay will not be present to deliver an induction speech. On the morning of November 7th, 2017, Halladay was flying his ICON A5 airplane over the Gulf of Mexico, when it crashed into shallow waters. Unfortunately, he was killed on impact. Even though Roy Halladay may not be here today, we can continue to admire the things he was able to accomplish on and off the field. Roy showed massive dedication and heart while pitching on the mound, but most of all, was an amazing father and husband. As exclaimed by Phillies broadcaster Tom McCarthy at the end of Halladay’s perfect game, “Hit toward third, Castro has it, spins, fires, A PERFECT GAME! Roy Halladay has thrown the second perfect game in Philadelphia Phillies history! He faces 27 batters, he retires all 27!”