Students get excited for 2019 movies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students get excited for 2019 movies

Alon Amir

Alon Amir

Alon Amir

2019 will be filled with people packed into theaters, and Eastern students will be among them. According to Statista, 54% of people go to the movies “less often than once per month.” However, it seems that this year might be what changes that. Here some upcoming movies for the new year:

One movie immediately interested kids: Detective Pikachu. Directed by Rob Letterman, the upcoming Pokémon movie will be based on the 3DS game of the same name. It will be out in theaters on May 10th, and fans are curious to see their beloved pocket monsters in a more realistic light.

Fans of horror movies have a lot of good scares in store for them. The Conjuring 3, It: Chapter 2, and Happy Death Day 2U are all upcoming sequels to previously released screamfests. Jenna Schmukler is a senior who is excited for Christopher Landon’s continuation of Happy Death Day. “I want to see if it’s any better,” she said, referring to the original 2017 movie.

Lots of incoming Disney movies are sure to lure families out to be seen (and cried over). Disney is coming out with more live action remakes of classics. Remakes releasing this year include Dumbo (1941) and The Lion King (1994). Disney is also releasing Toy Story 4, Spider-Man: Far From Home, and Avengers: Endgame, all of which are highly-anticipated by devoted fans of these long-running series.

Senior Kelsey Piatkowski is very excited for Rocketman, the biopic about the legendary singer releasing this May. “I love Elton John!” she said enthusiastically, “It’s directed by the same man who did Bohemian Rhapsody!” Indeed, the movie was directed by Dexter Fletcher, who took over the Golden Globe winning movie on Queen after its previous director was fired. The film will star Taron Egerton as a young Elton John as he delves into music and battles various personal battles.

Eastern students are more than ready to get together and grab some popcorn. There’s always something worth going to see, so grab some friends go down to the lobby to catch a good movie this year!