The cost of skipping class

Ever walk into a bathroom and see other students hanging out in the middle of class?

See a senior leaving school after second period?

You’re not the only person who notices the intense skipping culture not just here at Eastern, but at nearly every school across America.

While skipping may be ‘fun’ and the ‘cool thing to do’, it’s been proven that students who miss more than 10 instructional days per academic year have a 20 percent less likely chance of graduation from high school than their peers.

Guidance counselor, Ms. Bosworth, said “There are so many varying reasons why students cut class nowadays. Normally it’s a type of outside factor, knowing they’re going to fail, feel too much pressure, personal issues, and so many more possible reasons. If anyone is cutting class– there’s a reason that’s most likely hidden in the student’s subconscious.”

There is no such thing as your ‘typical skipper.’ This topic has been extensively researched and people from all demographics, age groups, and social classes are guilty.

English III teacher, Mrs. Leason, said that even AP kids are guilty of skipping class, especially if they aren’t prepared for a presentation or test. She phrased skipping as an ‘avoidance technique’, whether it be avoiding the workload, teacher, or even another student.

Whether it’s hiding out in a bathroom, another teacher’s class, or even leaving without permission, skipping classes will only hurt yourself in the long run.

Eastern’s policy for students who skip heavily relies on the teachers to determine the issue by doing investigative work to make sure the student wasn’t absent all day. Then teachers have to check attendance records and PowerSchool to see if they signed in elsewhere or to guidance. If they find out a student was skipping then they have to write them up. The bottom line is, if a teacher isn’t fully aware of each of their 100+ students, skipping becomes more easy and tempting.

Whether or not you should skip is your decision, but the answer is pretty obvious.

However, whatever it is you’re avoiding in class can be dealt with accordingly. Rather then cutting class, simply try to address what the true issue is.

At the end of the day, we’re all here for an education and skipping out on this privilege to learn causes a domino effect that will leave students in the dust.