Ethan Levy: Racing with a First-Place Attitude

Ethan+runs+around+the+track.+

Ethan runs around the track.

Who’s that 14-year-old male tearing down the final stretch of the track to complete a six-minute-mile? It’s freshman Ethan Levy!

But while he has been a star on the asphalt, Levy has made major changes to his personality.

As a key member of the distance squad, Levy is best known for running. “I’ve always been interested in running. I really started to take running seriously during seventh and eighth grade track,” he said. During the recent season, he broke personal records in the mile and 800 meter events, with a 5:30 and 2:20 time respectively.

Levy loves the camaraderie of the team. “I just enjoy the community that track creates,” he said. “A large group of people working together to help each other get better at what we love to do.”

Aside from sports, Levy has made a smooth transition from VMS to Eastern. Biology teacher Elsann Machotka has aided him during this shift. “She has taught me that if I want to succeed, I have to do more than just show up to class. I started off the school year with a low grade in Honors Bio. I didn’t study and didn’t go to extra help. Since then, I’ve gone to extra help almost every day this year.”

Next year, Levy will prepare for the daunting challenge of AP U.S History.

Motivation is a major struggle for many high school students, but Levy has a heartwarming method of waking himself up in the morning. “Besides my alarm, the thought of how lucky I am to go to Eastern gets me up. Eastern is one of the best schools in the country, and I’m lucky enough to go there,” he said.

Ten years from now, Levy sees himself graduated from prestigious Ivy League institution Princeton University. “After that, I don’t really know,” he said.

But in the meantime, Levy plans to continue dominating the track, and develop a winning team. But at Eastern, just being a great athlete doesn’t secure success, so he looks to maintain his above-average grades.

“First, I’m going to finish high school,” he said. “I’m just going to take my education one step at a time, and I’ll cross that bridge once I get there.”