Voyager alumni enjoy life outside of high school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Even though school has only been in session a few weeks, things are in full swing at the Voyager. Editors are falling into their newly assigned positions, first-year staff reporters are working on writing their debut articles, and final decisions for layout are being made. 

Maanasi Natarajan remembers this feeling all too well. At one point, it was her sitting in room 605 working as one of the editors-in-chief, calling the shots. 

That was last year.

Today, Natarajan has bigger things on her mind. She’s a freshman at American University in Washington, D.C. and is working on getting acclimated to college life. As a CLEG (communications, legal institutions, economics, and government) major, she spends most days going to classes, with her favorite being Intro to College Inquiry (a research-based class). 

On Tuesdays and Fridays, she has an internship on Capitol Hill with Rosa DeLauro, a respresentative from Connecticut. “I really enjoy it, but also because it’s near the Washington Monument and stuff, after work sometimes I like to walk around and explore the city,” said Natarajan.

It’s this type of city-life that attracted Natarajan to American University in the first place, and it’s evident in her voice that she adores her school. “I really like how everybody at my school is really politically active, and also, how everybody you meet has something they are really passionate about,” she said.

Natarajan’s passion is communications, and her dream is to work on Capitol Hill in speech-writing. Working on The Voyager has largely contributed to her interest in communications. As an Opinion Editor and Editor-in-Chief, Natarajan spent time interviewing students, staff, and administration, as well as writing commentary about political and social issues. 

Lauren Casole shares a similar passion. At The University of Florida, Casole is majoring in public relations. The J-School, where the public relations major is housed, is ranked #2 in the nation for PR, and was a massive pull factor for her. 

“I chose PR because I knew that I liked writing and I liked journalism, but I also really like communicating with different types of people.” PR, Casole says, is a good mix of both of these strong skills she has.

Other skills of hers include writing articles and essays, working with Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop, helping to run The Voyager website, and handling the newspaper’s Twitter account. These are abilities bolstered by Casole’s experience at The Voyager that she hopes can land her the position as the director of communications for the Pan-Hellenic community, which oversees all sororities at the University of Florida.

She just joined Alpha Chi Omega, a sorority on campus that keeps her busy with socials and new member meetings. 

When she’s not caught up with Greek life, you can find her studying at the library,  practicing with her dance team, or just enjoying the beautiful Florida weather.

Another Voyager alum going down the communications route is Srishti Ramesh. A former online Editor-in-Chief, Ramesh has decided to major in journalism at Temple University. 

“The Voyager made a pretty big impact on me, and it was something I was really interested in compared to other aspects of school,”said Ramesh.

Interacting with authority figures during her time on the newspaper staff has helped improve her communication skills, and is something she feels has been the most beneficial to her.

Ramesh has learned a lot about herself in the short month that she’s been at school, including how she reacts to situations now that she’s living on her own. “The whole college experience is really enlightening,” she says. 

She spends most of her day in and out of classes, but ending the night with dinner with friends makes everything more bearable.

The advice offered by all three students is roughly the same: enjoy every moment of senior year and put as much time into the school paper as possible. Ramesh encourages that one should try to exceed their expectations at college.