New math course on the horizon

Can’t get enough math? Want more calculus? 

Well, multivariable calculus is coming, starting in the 2021-2022 school year, according to Director of Academic Programs Dr. Borda. 

The course has been on the table for some time. “It’s been in process for a long time,” Dr. Borda said. When BC Calculus was added to the curriculum years ago, it was the “natural progression.”

Over the years, more and more students showed an interest in the course, so administration delivered. Both Mrs. Ryan and Dr. Borda said they wanted to meet student demand.

Mrs. Ryan, the math supervisor, said that students have taken multivariable calculus outside of Eastern, so they knew they had interest.

At this time, it is difficult to predict how many will enroll. 

“Guidance is finishing up scheduling, and they are working to get students on the right track. We should have a better idea after that,” said Mrs. Ryan.

While administration is excited about the new class, they don’t think it will change Eastern students’ admissions probability.

“There are all kinds of ways to be a stronger candidate,” said Mrs. Ryan. She did say that she hasn’t yet spoken to admissions officers. Ryan said it depends on what interest you have in college.

Dr. Borda went a little deeper. She doesn’t think it will hurt, adding more rigor is always helpful. However, she said some of the Ivy League issues Eastern has faced are due in part to the high population density of the area. 

The density leads to high competition, and isn’t an indictment on Eastern. 

“For some students, this could help in certain majors, but I can’t say it will solve all of the issues,” said Dr. Borda.

The math track, starting all the way in the middle schools, was not a concern for them. Mrs. Ryan said that all schools pretty much do it the same.

“We have made it easier to double up on math and reach the level necessary,” said Dr. Borda. “We have tried to find pathways to reach higher levels of math in four years.”

Multivariable calculus is a mix of AC and BC calculus, and is the next in the progression of math. Students will be required to take AP AB or BC calculus, but that is logical anyway.

“We are excited to provide students with this opportunity,” said Dr. Borda.