Would a hybrid form of in-school and remote learning be a valuable alternative for the future?

No. Because the face to face action in schools is one of the useful skills students can gain for the future. This goes along with learning to be on time and making relationship. With remote learning, students don’t have face to face action, can’t learn to be on time, and can’t make relationships on remote learning which is a con. Some pros are not having to worry about time, sleeping in, doing work in bed, and having the whole afternoon to yourself. – JOSHUA MEYERS ‘21

No. A hybrid form of in-school and remote learning wouldn’t be a valuable alternative for the future. There are pros, like the fact that it gives you the ability to do work in the comfort of your own home and for kids that have social issues or deal with bullying, they won’t have to, because they are at home. However, students are missing social interaction, extracurricular programs, such as sports and clubs, and not everyone has a comfortable home environment conducive to learning.

– ETHAN MACK ‘21

Yes. As someone that works better on their own time, I find it very beneficial to be able to do my schoolwork on my own time and set my own schedule for myself. Pros for this are that it will help this generation use technology more, since that is the way of the future. Cons are that it minimizes social interaction. I enjoy it, I think it has the potential to be a valuable option for busy or sick teens.

– FAITH MENDELSON ‘20

Perhaps. In dire situations, remote learning is a valuable alternative for the future, but it could never replace physically attending school in a classroom. It is easier going to school online as all tests and projects have been cancelled; however, going to an actual school not only increases focus, but I believe increases the amount of information retained.

– SASHA TUDDENHAM ‘20

No. It is much more valuable to be in school learning rather than online. However, there are improvements they could make. For example, video chat could be utilized. – MATT STEINSALTZ ‘20

Perhaps. I guess it could be valuable to use during snow days and other events where school needs to be cancelled. It counts for the 180 days of school we need and lets students complete work at home when they can’t be in school physically. However, I don’t think this should be a regular occurrence for reasons I will relay in my other answers. – AVA HANCOCK ‘20

No. I value the in-person style of teaching that being at school requires and I feel like I learn more that way. The pros of it are more personal teacher interaction if you’re at school, and that you get to see your friends, whilst the cons are you’re more susceptible to bullying.

– JOSEPH LOVERDI ‘22

No. I don’t think a hybrid would be a valuable alternative for the future as I can see a lot of stress, confusion, and disconnect. The constant back-and-forth could be confusing, and may prevent a true understanding of lessons that would be easily understood by a teachers explanation

– FAITH SIRDASHNEY ‘20

No. Severe communication barrier if students have a confusing question. Another con: not making close friends. Another con: no routine since going back and forth from one learning setting to another.

Perhaps. I think it would make a good alternative, but I don’t think it’s a permanent solution. Remote learning is good way for kids that are unable to attend school for health or other reasons to stay engaged in their classes, but technology also allows students to be easily distracted. – AARON ARNSTEIN ‘20

Perhaps. I’d argue that with the use of iPads and google classroom, we already have a solid hybrid of both.

– ADAM SALADINO ‘20

Perhaps. It could be a way better alternative maybe if it was optional…Pros: less stress, less tardies, more time for extracurricular, more sleep Cons: less in class experience/less interaction, ability to slack off and not get reprimanded the same, etc. – LEAH SNYDERMAN ‘22

Yes. A hybrid form of in-school and remote learning would be valuable. In-school learning gives you interaction between you, your friends, and the teacher, but school isn’t always the most comfortable environment. Remote learning gives you that comfort, but work isn’t as enforceable and instruction is not available.

– ANDREW SHINKLE ‘22