Senior Theatre Speeches: Ally Mazza

On closing night of every show, the seniors are given the opportunity to speak on their time as a member of Eastern Theatre, and share any advice they have to the underclass men. Due to the circumstances, this tradition was not able to happen. Here is what Ally would have said.

Photo supplied

I’ll never forget the 12-hour wet tech rehearsals where everyone would start losing their sanity around hour 8, the countless trips to the vending machine before rehearsal where I’d have to always borrow money from my friends, and the times I cry laughed at rehearsals for no reason, except that I was just really happy.

“My time in Eastern theatre has been so memorable to me. Although this isn’t how I expected to be giving my senior speech, I’m thankful for the memories I’ve made throughout these past four years.

From “Les Mis” my freshman year, where I laid as a dead body for the majority of Act 2, to “Music Man” my junior year, where I sang in one of the most annoying yet catchiest songs ever, I’ve really discovered my love for theatre.

Even though it’s not what I plan to do with the rest of my life, I will always hold a special place in my heart for the shows I’ve performed here. Honestly, what I’m most grateful for is that Eastern theatre has made me the person I am today.

Freshman year, I walked into my first rehearsal with about 2 friends, and was shyer than I’d ever been. Now my senior year, going to rehearsals turned into my favorite part of the day, and these past four years allowed me to grow out of my shell and gain the confidence I’ve never had before. I’ve made my best friends from this club and doing shows is what made me really enjoy Eastern.

It feels surreal that I’ll never have an opening or closing night at Eastern again. I won’t feel the excitement of peeking out at the audience before the show starts. I won’t be able to hug my family after each show.

And the saddest of all, I won’t be able to stand up in front of the cast and crew closing night, next to the people I’ve spent four years with, saying my final goodbye to Eastern Theatre. Instead of dwelling on what’s happened, I’m looking back on my time in Eastern theatre with the best memories.

I also want to thank Dr. Mo, Mrs. A, Curt, and Issh for everything they have done these past four years. They don’t look at us as just high school students, or hold us to a lower standard because we are students. Instead, they push us and make us work hard, because they know what we’re capable of.

They see the potential inside everyone they work with, and make sure we see it as well, while still making rehearsals fun and enjoyable. It’s thanks to them that this club is so special and that the seniors have loved their past four years. I’m so glad I’ve had this weird but great experience, and I’ll cherish it forever.”

Favorite moment?

“My favorite Eastern Theatre moment is either getting my first lead in my senior fall play or when “Les Mis” won best musical at Papermill my freshman year.”