Remote Schooling – More Draining than In-Person?

There’s something that I find to be pretty negative about all this: school just seems longer than it normally is. Now maybe it’s just me, but I’ve found myself bored more often now than I did with remote last year.

Gotta+love+straining+your+back+to+work+on+assignments+for+class.+

Meredith Hara

Gotta love straining your back to work on assignments for class.

Waking up at 7:30 AM is a change of pace to me school-wise.

Back in the prehistoric times of February 2020, I would wake up at 5:30 AM, and I’d get to school by 7. But as we all know everything has changed due to the rampant spread of COVID-19, and most schools worldwide, Eastern included, have gone remote, and it’s been more draining for me than in-person school ever has.

When we started remote schooling in March, it was much different than what we’re doing now. We had 4 hour school days lasting from 8 AM to 12:15 PM, with a class every hour and five minutes of time between each class. We weren’t using Zoom (I capitalized on that by playing my Spotify playlist during school unless we had videos to watch) and all classwork was essentially busy work.

Now we have a schedule similar to the one we had back in the 2019-20 school year. Classes are 40 minutes long and we have 10 minutes in between each class, and the day lasts from 8:30 to 1:45. I like that we’re using Zoom to bring back some semblance of student-teacher interaction; I sorely missed that last year. Schoolwork is also just what it needs to be: us learning without having to do busy work every class period for four months in a row.

The teachers and students are all doing their best to adjust to this new normal, and all of the classes I’ve had have run really smoothly. It’s nice to be able to ask your teachers questions, and all of the lessons I’ve had, whether it be Mr. Thompson’s overview of APUSH I in APUSH II or Dr. Leason’s entertaining presentations in AP Lang, have been executed well.

But there’s something that I find to be pretty negative about all this: school just seems longer than it normally is. Now maybe it’s just me, but I’ve found myself bored more often now than I did with remote last year, whether it be staring off into space or going on my phone. It’s all pretty tiring for me too, as I normally exit the school day both drained (yes, not just my technology is running low on its battery after the school day is over) and with a sore back, probably from the hunching over I do to both work on my computer while attending Zoom calls at the same time.

There’s also Zoom-bombing; students impersonating other students come into the Zoom classroom and do generally inappropriate things like cursing. It happened to Mr. Thompson twice in class on Wednesday (late preface: this was written before we began logging into Zoom with SSO accounts) and was pretty frustrating because it’s a total distraction from learning and ruins the experience of both teacher and student.

I’m also someone who holds an unpopular opinion that school isn’t all that bad, but I’m not a huge fan of the Zoom schooling that we’re doing. It’s by far the best way to do school during these extraordinary times, but it’s totally imperfect and a sludge every day, plus the Zoom-bombing that consistently happens. I hope things get better with Zoom schooling, but in its current state it’s far more draining than normal school ever was.