Bomb Threats at HBCUs

Howard University (Washington D.C) was one of the first HBCUs to receive a threat (Photo by:Getty Images)

February is labeled as Black History Month, a month where Black history and culture are highlighted each and every day. But this year, Black History Month started off on the wrong foot as many Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) received multiple bomb threats.

HBCUs are institutions of higher education located in various states down south.  These schools allow African Americans to access the best of education and to also build a strong community with people that will last for a lifetime. They are a symbol of home for many African Americans from the past, present, and future. HBCUs have became popular in the past few years as they have become a symbol of hope and unity throughout the difficult times of racial injustice 

The most prominent HBCUs, like Southern University and A&M, Howard University, Bethune-Cookman University, Albany State University, Bowie State University, and Delaware State University were the first to receive these threats. Other colleges and universities received threats soon after.

Classes were canceled and students are to remain in their dorm rooms until an all-clear is issued. University operations were also suspended until further notice.

Nothing was found on any of the campuses that received threats, university officials said.

US Education Secretary Miguel Cardona called the threats “disturbing” and said they would not be tolerated. “My team will continue to work with students, faculty, and alumni to make sure HBCUs continue to be a safe place for students to learn.”

Many students are weighing in on the conversation and how these threats have affected them. 

Take Saigan Boyd, a 19-year-old student who attends Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia. Boyd said she woke up in her dorm about 5:30 a.m. and got an email about the threat within half an hour.

“It was very disturbing … It made me feel as though that I am not safe,” she said.

“It makes me realize how there are still these terrorists that are trying to stop minorities from advancing or just getting a simple education from a predominantly Black institution,” Boyd said.

“I’m just ultimately tired of dealing with this level of unsolicited hatred,” she said. “I’m just tired of being terrorized like how my grandparents were.”

Boyd said she is more “disappointed and annoyed than anxious. I just feel that a lot of time has passed for us to keep going through this same pattern of racism.”

These threats also affected the families of students who were on campus. Cristal Brown, whose 23-year-old son is a student at Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU), said she was “very nervous, concerned,” when she heard about the threat.

“Maybe it’s some sort of sick joke that someone or a group of individuals may find amusing,” Brown said. “Of course I am concerned about more threats. It’s heartbreaking learning that several other HBCUs have been targeted,” she said. “I really do hope that they find the person responsible and hold them accountable for their actions,” Brown said.

More student testimonies can be found and have the same message of horror and racial motive to these threats.

The FBI has identified suspects accused of making threats, but no arrests have been made.