COVID-19: why it may never end

A+survey+of+Eastern+students+revealed+that+almost+22%25+of+all+that+responded+still+suffer+from+long+term+effects+after+having+COVID-19.+

Timur Markowitz

A survey of Eastern students revealed that almost 22% of all that responded still suffer from long term effects after having COVID-19.

Despite many speculating that the immense prominence of Coronavirus is soon to cease, the wrath of the disease doesn’t plan to stop any time soon. For some, the process has begun to feel similar to a common cold; although, children, the unvaccinated, and those with autoimmune compromises are continually at higher risk.

Furthermore, the effects of the virus may not dissipate for decades, as the possible long term health complications for those who recover from the disease are still not fully understood. Extended and permanent symptoms of COVID have not been uncovered to the furthest extent, and thus potential health risks might loom even after a full rehabilitation.

Despite the prematurity of the situation, many individual studies have produced scientific determinations, yet some discrepancies still exist among the supposed expectations. A complex meta-analysis of manifestations provided by the National Library of Medicine found fatigue, headache, attention disorder, dyspnea (difficulty breathing), and hair loss were common amongst those recovering. The least common after effects were shown to be paranoia, arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), post-traumatic stress disorder, myocarditis (inflammation of the heart), and kidney failure. 

According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, long term health effects of COVID include breathing issues, heart problems, kidney damage, neurological issues, mental health problems, and type 2 diabetes. Problems following the virus appear to be more common than anticipated and therefore pose larger threats. The full range and timeline of COVID-19 ramifications are currently unknown, but the same Johns Hopkins study found that 80% of individuals who contracted the disease continue to have at least one long term condition apart from acute infection. These repercussions can be as detrimental as organ damage, and further research could uncover even harsher long term symptoms.

When it comes to children, the range of aftermath is less established; studies released by the UK Office of National Statistics show that 9.8% of 2-11 year olds and 13.0% of 12-16 year olds who contacted the virus reported one or more symptoms that lingered for after 5 weeks of initial diagnosis. According to a selective poll conducted by the Voyager Staff, a respresntative 21.7% of Eastern students who contracted COVID still suffer from a known symptom. The most prominent in the school seem to be fatigue, headache, and cough, which match the worldwide statistics.

It is important that people, including Eastern students, can research and better understand these post-COVID repercussions if they desire, in order to protect their future health. COVID-19 is proven to have physical and neurological effects on those who fall victim to it. The chances that serious health complications arise seem to be slim amongst the youth, but the reality of the situation may not be revealed for years. Therefore, it remains justified for people of all ages to be wary of the Coronavirus and protect themselves; feeling fine during infestation does not guarantee a perfect or safe aftermath.