The Voyager

Filed under News, News

A night of celebrating the arts

Back to Article
Back to Article

A night of celebrating the arts

Rachel Forsman ('21) poses with her bunny.

Julia Dodd

Julia Dodd

Julia Dodd

On Thursday, June 7th, Eastern High School gathered to celebrate the arts. This “Night of the Arts” was dedicated to recognizing the students at Eastern who display special artistic abilities. The walls of the lobby, Learning Center, Gym 4, and blue hallway were decorated with a wide variety of displays. It was a welcome change to see the halls come alive with so much color, even if just for one night.

Each of the art classes, from Interior Design to Computer Graphics, showed off the best of what they had been working on throughout the year. This way, all different types of art, from every different level, were represented. Movie posters from TV Media classes also hung on the walls and there were showings of the best films of the year later in the night. Tri-folds with interior designs stood on tables set up in the lobby. Sculptures and pottery were laid out in the Learning Center. Eastern’s Choirs even sang a few songs to contribute to the arts celebration.

Rachel Forsman, an Art I student said, “It feels really amazing that my art and hard work from the year can be displayed and enjoyed by everyone who came.”

This was also a proud moment for all of the arts teachers who helped to guide their students throughout the year to reach their fullest artistic potential.

“Ms. Patterson helped me to discover the Picasso inside of me!” said freshman Eden Lev.

Perhaps the most exciting and greatly anticipated part of the night was the Fashion Show. This show has always been something that Eastern students, Fashion class participants in particular, look forward to all year. Before the show began, many could be seen running around the lobby and backstage getting ready with hair and makeup excitedly, as each of the collections featured student models.

This year, each of the fashion collections were inspired by a TV show or TV show character. From Cheryl Blossom from Riverdale, to Samantha Stevens from Bewitched, students drew inspiration from numerous different decades and genres of TV. Music blared and lights flashed as each collection ran down the catwalk and it was evident how much fun the models were having.

The Night of the Arts was certainly successful in its goal to celebrate the artistic students who may not have been recognized otherwise. The regularly framed pictures and sports jerseys will ultimately come back up, but the art that hung temporarily will always leave a lasting impact.