The Voyager

• May 16Girls Track are Conference Champions

Filed under News, News

“A Few Good Men” shows just how far corruption can go in defense of “liberty”

Back to Article
Back to Article

The cast of  “A Few Good Men” came out guns drawn. The play was composed by political-writer extraordinaire Aaron Sorkin (“Newsroom,” “The West Wing,” “Moneyball,” “Molly’s Game”).

Show-goers witnessed their fair share of drama and mystery as the plot unfolded. The actors behind the scenes witnessed their fair share of drama, too.

Dr. Molotsky has been the director of the fall play and spring musical for over a decade. However, this year, he had to hand over the position due to spinal surgery. His replacement, Curt Foy, filled in to help produce and direct. He has been involved in a dozen of Eastern’s productions, but this was his first opportunity to fully direct. Although he had big shoes to fill, Foy, along with the stage manager, Gabriela Bourla, created what many considered an authentic show.

Parents, staff, and students alike have all been supportive of the switch-up.

“Let’s be honest, [Dr. Molotsky’s] shoes are hard to fill because he has been an integral part of the theatre program here since I was a sophomore,” Mr. Foy admitted.“It’s odd to not have him here, but we hope he is proud of the work we are presenting in his absence.”

“A Few Good Men” pivots Lt. Kaffee, played by senior Bobby Weil who is reluctant to defend Lt. Cmdr Dawson, played by Jillian Bollinger, and Downey, played by Jordan Edmondson: two marines who are charged for killing a member of their squad, PFC William T. Santiago.

The events turn into a major court case, with these two marines pleading that they were following an order called a code red. “My character [Lt. Col. Nathan Jessep], is the main antagonist, and there is a suspicion in the show, that I won’t confirm or deny, that he’s the one who ordered the code red,” said Timothy Rickey.

However, it is the word of the marines against his. Lt. J.G. Daniel Kaffee, played by Bobby Weil, is assigned as Dawson and Downey’s defense attorney with the assistance of Joanne Galloway, played by Addison Clark, and Sam Weinberg, played by Seth Wise. .

Although the principle roles are often seen as the most important element of a play or musical, the ensemble plays an integral role. Marine, Alexandra Kauffman, said, “not only do we play a role in scene changes and fill up the space, we represent the typical military life at Guantanamo Bay.” She further explained that without the marines, the leads would stand in front of an empty and unrealistic stage, making for a very unconvincing performance.

The two-month journey of the fall play led to a greater knowledge about the military, an impactful production, and long-lasting memories.

“My favorite part of the process is the very end when we put it in front of an audience,” said Gabriela Bourla. “I love the performances because the cast and crew finally get to show what they have been working on for two months.”