Mr. Cave is NOT allergic to kids, only texting

Mr. Cave during cafeteria duty

Most students don’t seem to pay much attention to subs, but it’s hard to forget Mr. Cave. He is known for his unique style of subbing, such as his rules and his caring for students.

The first rule Mr. Cave always tells students is that he is “allergic to texting.” Phones can never be used in class because they are a distraction from school work. Additionally, when students ask to use the bathroom, he makes sure they do not have their phones on them so they do not waste time. “Don’t give Mr. Cave attitude,” he responds to defiance.

During the course of each class he subs, Mr. Cave asks who has a 92 in the class. For those who don’t, he tries to motivate them to improve and take advantage of their resources. His advice to students: “set your goals high and stay the course.”

He shows support for students by showing up at their sports games so they feel like they have support because some kids don’t have it. “Success is important to me,” he said.

Mr. Cave’s relationship with Eastern goes far back. He and his family moved to Voorhees from Bensalem in 1983. He wanted his kids to attend Eastern so they could get a better education.

He says that back in the 80s, there were farms everywhere. The area on Laurel Oak Road near the bank was all farmland and he used to take his kids on hayrides near the current Olive Garden.

Mr. Cave graduated from Boston University in 1979 and got an MBA from Saint Joseph’s University. His experience with subbing began after college when a friend of his suggested he become a long-term sub. He did that for 2 years.

Afterwards, he went into pharmaceutical sales. After 32 years of hard work in the field, Cave decided to retire, while at the same time restarting his sub career.

Unlike many people, Cave never dreads work. He likes his job because it has flexibility, less stress, and it is enjoyable. “Kids invigorate me,” he continued, “they keep me young.”

Mr. Cave has enjoyed the past couple years as a sub. He is not stressed and feels accepted at Eastern. His subbing methods also seem to pay off; kids will go up to him in the halls and tell them about a good grade they got and he will congratulate them. This is just one example of how Cave’s caring has had a positive impact on the student body.

“I’m enjoying this phase of my life,” Cave said. Jobs are about “self-satisfaction” and that is why he says he never works. “I’ve never worked a day in my life because I’ve loved every single thing I’ve done.”