The Voyager

• April 17Welcome to the updated website of The Voyager!

Filed under Humans of Eastern

Jordyn Malmud: ambitious, extroverted, and overachiever.

Her schedule is hectic and a tad chaotic; however, she doesn’t regret it. “Sometimes it can be very stressful,” she said. “ But I’m only this young for so long and I need to do what I want now.”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior year: the most infamous year of high school; a whirlwind of SAT/ACT prep, AP classes, studying for AP tests, college tours, deciding the next four years of your life, etc.

So how does one combat the stress of junior year while not making school their entire life?

Jordyn Malmud: ambitious, extroverted, and overachiever. Currently a junior, she is a hardworking student, a dancer, a Hebrew school student, and the president of her youth group chapter.

Tap, hip-hop, jazz, and musical theatre every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 6 to 9. Malmud has been dancing for 14 years, starting at age 2. Her mother first introduced her to dancing, although she herself wasn’t a dancer. Ever since her first class, Malmud has loved to dance. Whenever there is music on, she is known for saying, “I had a dance to this!” and will proceed to show anyone around.

Similar to her introduction to dance, she was introduced into BBYO (a Jewish youth organization) by her cousin (Remi). They are very close “I’m basically her little sister,” she said.

So, naturally, Malmud decided to follow in her cousin’s footsteps and enter the world of BBYO in eighth grade. During her four years of involvement, BBYO has become a part of her identity. Currently, she is the president (N’siah) of her chapter. Being president is stressful due to the many responsibilities, yet Malmud still sees the bright side. She knew that being N’siah would be added pressure and stress; however she wanted to “help the chapter now that we are the new generation of leaders.”

Dance and BBYO take a fair amount of her time, though school and homework take the majority. Malmud isn’t slacking academically junior year; she is pushing herself by taking a mixture of AP and honors classes. Due to her heavy course load, Jordyn spends hours studying and doing homework.

Because of late dance classes, hebrew school, and BBYO meetings, finding time to do homework isn’t easy. She is forced to do homework during meetings, in the car to and from dance, and oftentimes has to stay up all night. Her schedule is hectic and a tad chaotic; however, she doesn’t regret it. “Sometimes it can be very stressful,” she said. “ But I’m only this young for so long and I need to do what I want now.”

On top of everything she needs to do on a weekly basis, she has to worry about which house she will be at “Every other Monday and Tuesday I’m with my mom or dad, Wednesdays I’m with my mom, Thursdays with my dad, and weekends are every other.” Although being a child of divorce is stressful, Malmud doesn’t let this stop her.

Recently, Malmud’s Voorhees childhood home was sold and her mom moved to Berlin. Her dad’s home is still in Voorhees, but this move was hard on her. While most would dwell on this, she stays strong and remains as positive and peppy as she can be.

Jordyn Malmud is positive, upbeat, and never seen without a smile. Although her life is chaotic, she is never deterred from achieving her goals. She can do anything she puts her mind to, especially if Ed Sheeran is playing.