Getting to know Mr. Farrow

Mr. Farrow’s teaching career began well before he got his degree. In high school, he tutored his neighbor in math. “She told me I was  great at teaching,” Mr. Farrow said, “and I took it to heart.”

Evelyn Steele

Mr. Farrow helps a student

Mr. Farrow is a teacher, a coach, and a traveler. Mr. Farrow attended Catholic University of America in Washington D.C. to study math and then switched over to a math/secondary education major. In 2016, he earned his Masters at Rowan. At Eastern, he has taught every math class from algebra I, to geometry, to calculus.

Mr. Farrow started teaching in 2001 at Cherry Hill West and then came to Eastern, making 2019 his fourteenth year at Eastern and eighteenth year teaching overall. He also teaches statistics and calculus at Camden County College.

He has also been the advisor of Mock Trial for the past ten years. “I like seeing what students become after one season or at the end of four years,” Mr. Farrow said. “Seeing how much more confident they are and they are public speakers.”

Mock Trial is different than debate, Mr. Farrow said, because “debate is more free-form; whereas, mock trial has more structure.” Mock Trial is bound by a set of fictitious facts. “Like a play without a script,” but there is a general story and “obviously within the confines of the law.”

The most successful Mock Trial team he noted went the furthest three years ago and featured lead attorneys of Eddie Tauffer, Mansa Aziz, and Justin Choi.

For the past five years, Mr. Farrow has been the advisor of Math League. Math league is a competition based club, but they do not travel to other schools, except for Temple University for a live competition. Most of the competitions are tests taken at Eastern and then sent to a board to compare between others schools.

Last year, Math League had a second place finish in the region.

In his free time, Mr. Farrow loves to travel. He has been around Europe, the Caribbean and the West Coast. His favorite place is Greece, with the food and amazing history. History is his second favorite subject. He plans to visit the Baltic countries.

Mr. Farrow also likes alternative indie rock. He goes to the smaller shows to get up more and personal with the band.

He recently read “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison.

Besides traveling and going to concerts, Mr. Farrow likes to spend time with his wife and two kids.