New Investments course offers a master class in money management

Pixabay.com

Being conscious of money and its benefits is something everyone needs. This is the name of the game for investing—placing our currency with something or someone, and reaping the rewards later on down the line.

If there’s one thing in life that leads you on a road to success, it has to be financial stability.

Wherever our walks of life may lead us, our money opens up a vast selection of paths and choices for us. But in order to make the right decision, we must first be knowledgeable with where our money lies on a daily basis.

Mr. Alec Sherman, a business education teacher, sought to bring this knowledge to the awareness of adolescents when he began a brand-new Investments course this school year. In his six years here, Sherman has taught a multitude of classes, including Accounting, Entrepreneurship, and Web Design. This year, in addition to one section of Coding, he’s focusing his efforts on four sections of the new course.

Sherman has endeavored to bring Investments to the course catalog for a few years. His dreams were realized this year, when it gained approval for the Financial Literacy requirement, in addition to its 21st Century eligibility.

He said he wanted to create this course for the past couple of years, but he had to make sure that enough students would be interested. “I was hopeful to get around 40-45 students and we have doubled that,” he said.

What is so important about investing? The answer is simple. By investing, you can earn interest (your money gets you additional money), reduce your taxable income, and begin planning for retirement.  

All three of these benefits can change the game for your financial situation, and alter the course of your life. Having a little extra money around never hurts.

Students enrolled in Investments can expect to learn how to manage their money, and ultimately achieve economic satisfaction. 

Mr. Sherman said that the course is an introduction to investment strategy. “Investments introduces students to some personal finance basics,” he said, “showing students how their investment strategy can change based on the life choices they make.”

The stock market plays a major role, as well as bonds, mutual funds, real estate and retirement planning.

Later in the year, the ninety-four Investments students will engage in a stock market simulation and competition. With $100,000 to invest in any stocks of their choosing, each student will seek to earn the most money in the class. At the end, the winner will receive bragging rights and a small reward, but the true gift is the real-world knowledge they’ll uncover along the way. 

Junior Tiana Cyrelson enrolled in Investments this school year, and she said she has benefited greatly from the information she’s learned.

“I think normally in a lot of high school courses, we’re not taught fundamental things like taxes or how to invest your money or how to use your money wisely and how to save it,” she said. “I think having this class has taught me a lot of valuable things—valuable real world skills that aren’t taught in a lot of others.”

While not currently considering a career in finances, she recommends that anyone should take the class, regardless of their economic knowledge.

“I think whether you know a lot about investing and other monetary things, or you know absolutely nothing at all, I think this covers the basics from A to Z of investments, and I think it would be a very worthwhile course,” she said.

For junior Crystal Johnson, adulthood is fast approaching; Investments has opened her up to the economic side of life.

“As high school students on the brink of adulthood, there are many topics that we have at least heard of; however, upon deeper investigation, you’ll quickly realize that you know almost nothing about how deeply intertwined money and adulting are,” she said.

“Whether a little or a lot, the amount you save or invest isn’t most important,” Sherman said. “Instead, the most important part of savings or investing is simply to start!”