Open Letter to University Admission Emails in My Spam Box

Although I enjoy opening 30 university emails a day, I would encourage all universities to send even more.

Maya Dunkelman

Nova Southeastern University just today gave me the encouragement to finish my homework. They said, “Maya, you’re a motivated student.”

Dear university emails in my spam box,

“Maya you’ve earned this.” Wow, thank you. I needed to hear this today, like a comforting mother. You’re not my mom, Adelphi University, but I wish you were. You, collectively I mean. All of the “Universities.”

I’ve never felt more heard, than when checking my spam inbox. Out of all the students in the world, these renowned colleges chose me to suit. I wonder how they found out about me!

They apparently also know me better than I know myself in telling me, “I know what you need, Maya.” Every hour of the school day, I get at least two emails. So, every hour I check to see if there are messages from them. Perhaps for something to make me laugh, or an uplifting quote. 

Since, naturally, I believe everything the university emails say, I murmured back to myself, “I am a motivated student!”

Although I will probably never go to any of the college’s they are promoting, I have to admit, I like the attention.“Maya… you have my attention” Susquehanna University wrote. See, they always tell me exactly what I want to hear.

Although I enjoy opening 30 university emails a day, I would encourage all universities to send even more. More emails means more support and validation.

Opening my university spam emails is always the highlight of my day.

Sincerely,

Maya Dunkelman