Transgender students should use the bathroom they identify with

Toby Talbot

Schools should be able to still have separate restroom facilities for male and female students, but also allow students to access them based on their gender identity and not based on students assigned sex birth.

Most schools have a policy of separate restroom and locker room for students; however, transgender students should have access to the restroom and locker room to the gender they identity as.

Even though some students and parents may feel uncomfortable with the idea of a transgender student using the restroom or locker room of the gender they identify with, the students own comfortability should take precedent. Across the country, school administrators and staff should work with students and parents to address their possible concerns regarding the matter.

The goal is to make administration  understand gender identity to create a positive environment for all students. 

There is another alternative when students don’t prefer to use the Boys and Girls bathrooms, which is known as “gender neutral” restrooms or private changing areas that all students can use. However, people can take advantage of gender neutral bathrooms but most of the time schools don’t have neutral restrooms or close them for people taking advantage, which isn’t fair to transgender people who go to those schools.

We as human beings need to make transgender students feel more comfortable, safe, and respected. Transgender students need adult support in school. School educators and administrators can make a big difference by helping out a transgender/non-binary students mental health by making them feel more comfortable at school.

The GLSEN (Gay, lesbian & straight Education Network) analysis finds more than seventy-seven percent of transgender students and more than sixty-nine percent of non-binary students reported facing discrimination on schools grounds. LGBTQ+ Youth reported that nationwide more (32 %) U.S. high schools students who self-identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual have been harrassed/bullied on school property.

In an NPR Article a transgender High-School student, Ash Whitataker, has filed a federal Title IX lawsuit against his school district. “A transgender high shcool student in Kenosha, Wisconsin, is suing his school district, saying it has discriminated against him by refusing to treat him as a boy. Ash Whitaker says he was told not to use the boys’ bathroom and that school staff told his mother they intended to ask trans students, including him, to wear a green wristband.” The staff member said that these trans students would use the wristbands to make sure they didn’t use the restrooms they weren’t supposed to be using.

The interviewer, Kelly Mcever discussed this with Ash and his mom, and said things escalated in February after a school employee saw him in the boys’ bathroom. When Ash went to dry his hands he peeked over his shoulder to see a teacher staring at him with a wide look.

Later that week, the school administration reported to his mom that he isn’t allowed to use the boys’ bathroom anymore. 

School administrators should never treat any student part of the LGBTQ+ like this —they are also people too. A student shouldn’t be treated differently just because they don’t fit societal  standards. High School is supposed to be a fun experience not a traumatizing one.