SUCCESS Club Spotlight

Jacqueline Suglia and Cassidy Golin are the 2022-2023 Co-Presidents of the Success Club. Photo by Cassidy Golin

Success can mean different things to different people. To some, it can mean achieving high grades, scoring the winning goal, or earning large amounts of money. But, to the Eastern community, success represents bridging the gap between students of every ability.

In a world of adversity, it can be difficult for special needs students to find a place that truly accepts, includes, and caters to them. Eastern’s SUCCESS Club is a place “for all students, regardless of ability, to feel like they belong.” said Kim Sherlock, Co-Advisor of the club. 

The SUCCESS club was established in 2000 by Fran Miller “to find a way to connect Special-Ed students with their typical peers.” Said Co-Advisor Lorraine Krul. “The club is a social group focused on activities that foster interactions between members.” 

According to AutismNj.org, extracurricular activities for kids with special needs help students to focus on strengths and interests, develop skills, build self-esteem and socialization skills.

The SUCCESS Club has grown to include a myriad of activities. From dance parties to exciting trips, there is never a dull moment with this group. “We like to go to the movies, play miniature golf, and we have a lot of in-house activities around the holidays,” said Mrs. Krul. The group never misses a chance to throw a party filled with music and pizza. “It’s a nice way to come together,” she said, and a way for the members to interact in an environment that is comfortable and safe. Earlier this month, the club hosted a karaoke/bingo night which included tons of One-Direction throwbacks and candy bars.

Mrs. Krul and Mrs. Sherlock have been educators for over two decades and have been friends ever since they met on their first days at Eastern. Mrs. Sherlock is a job coach and Mrs. Krul is a school psychologist. Additionally, they both work in special services and have a long history with the SUCCESS club. So, when the former advisor Mrs. Schmidt retired, they were delighted to take over as co-advisers for the club. 

Mrs. Krul’s goal for the SUCCESS Club is to receive more involvement from the general student population. For example, she said, “We have access to the students in our classes and Special-Education programs, but it’s harder to get the word out to General-Education students.”

Likewise, Mrs. Sherlock hopes to see a true “buddy system” between general and special education students, such as “Lunch buddies in the cafeterias, at sporting, and special events.” Furthermore, she hopes to see an overall increase in inclusion towards the special needs students at Eastern. “I often see on the news and social media a “feel-good story” that involves the student leaders (athletes/club leaders) of a high school, including a student with special needs, into their circle.” She said, “I would love for those stories to be more than just stories at our school. I would love for that to be the way of student life at Eastern.”

Members of Eastern’s SUCCESS Club get the opportunity to learn firsthand about diversity, inclusion, and friendship while having fun and receiving volunteer hours. Jacqueline Suglia, a sophomore at Eastern High School and a volunteer in the club, said, “being part of the SUCCESS club is a rewarding experience that combines important lessons with the opportunity to give back to the community.”

If you are interested in joining the SUCCESS Club or have any questions, you can email Mrs. Sherlock or Mrs. Krul @KimSherlock @LorraineKrul

[This story was originally printed in The Voyager’s 2022 newspaper]