Living With A Stranger: Picking a College Roommate

Not everyone loves their first roommate, but eventually you will find your person.

As seniors continue to commit to colleges, they begin to wonder what the next step is. Besides orientation, paying fees, and sending transcripts, you also have to find a roommate. That is unless you’re living the dream and going to the same school as your best friend. 

While some schools randomly generate roommates, many have begun to allow students to pick their own. There are different systems that are used, like Instagram, interview forms, apps affiliated with the school,  and even the school’s housing website. Each one allows you to give information about yourself as well as learn about other incoming freshmen. 

I will be attending the University of Kentucky this fall, and they couldn’t have made choosing a roommate any easier! For starters, there are multiple Instagram accounts named something along the lines of “@kentucky2027bios” that allow incoming students to send in a couple pictures of themselves and write a short biography just explaining the basics of their lives. Oftentimes the bio includes their name, where they are from, what their intended major is, and any hobbies they may have. 

These accounts have made it so easy to make new friends who will get to experience the first year of college with you. I personally have already made a bunch of friends and I can’t wait to actually meet them in person. 

It took some sifting to find my ideal roommate, but I’m pretty sure I found the winner. I talked to a bunch of girls who, while I would love to be their friend, I can’t see myself sharing a space with. 

In order to actually narrow down your options, you have to know what question to ask. Here are some examples to help you out :

• What kind of music do you listen to?
  • What do you like to do in your free time?
  • Are you a morning or night person?
  • Would you consider yourself to be organized or messy?
  • Do you intend on having people over?
  • What do you plan on bringing to school?

You should personalize the questions you ask to figure out if they’d fit your lifestyle as well. For example, I informed everyone that I talked to that I’m the kind of person who needs to have a set plan at least a day in advance. I also let them know that I intend on joining a club that allows me to foster puppies in the dorm, so I have to rule out anyone with allergies. Other things I mentioned include my Starbucks addiction, my love for sports, my mug collection, and the fact that our fridge must always be stocked with pickles.

Another thing you should pay attention to is their attitude towards life as well as how they speak and act. You don’t want to be stuck with someone who hates everything and has a rude personality. It can help to also set some boundaries to ensure a smooth interaction between you and your roommate.

By asking these questions, I managed to find someone who is pretty much just like me. It can either be a blessing or a curse, but so far I really like her! We’ve already started planning what we’re bringing, have shared registries, and we talk all the time. However, we won’t really know how it works out until we arrive on campus. 

Even if it ends up not working out, at least we tried. Not everyone loves their first roommate, but eventually you will find your person. 

After we decided to be roommates, all we had to do was log onto the housing portal– which is normally found under the “Admissions” tab on your school’s website–and add each other to our group. Depending on which dorm you want, you can have between 1 and 3 roommates. 

I’m so happy I found someone I think I will be close with. I can’t wait to actually meet her. Good luck on your journey!