Becoming Eligible for Eastern’s National Honors Society

If interested in applying for the NHS it is important for underclassmen to look toward the future!

The National Honors Society is a well-known school program that accepts high school scholars. Eastern’s branch of NHS requires that its inductees carry certain attributes  These attributes include  in-school leadership, community service, character, and scholarship. 

Contrary to popular belief, grades are not the sole factor for acceptance. Students must maintain an unweighted GPA of at least 92, however, that isn’t what will make you stand out. Things like volunteering, or having a leading role in a school club are influencing factors. Along with the GPA requirement, other policies include monthly community service points and attendance of member meetings. 

Eastern likes to see initiative and independent services completed on a voluntary basis. When applying, there is a community service and leadership verification form, which calculates your volunteer hours and leadership actions. 

The obligation of community service does not conclude upon induction. Three service hours must be completed each month in order to receive the needed service points. Ways to get service points could be volunteering at a cathedral kitchen, AWA, or academic support tutoring. NHS also hosts some community service opportunities for student involvement. 

If interested in applying for the NHS it is important for underclassmen to look toward the future. Planning ahead of time will prevent the stress of possibly not meeting requirements when it comes time to apply. 

For example, if a student is in a club, start applying for officer applications as they are posted on google classroom. For community service, ask around for opportunities outside of school. For making sure the requirements are met, visit the Eastern National Honors Society Chapter website with a quick google search.  

The National Honors Society isn’t just for “smart kids”. The advisors, Mrs. Koutroulis and Mrs. Rubini, search for well rounded academic students who serve a role in their school and community.  If the effort and dedication is maintained in your grades, along with numerous volunteer hours and leadership positions, you are a considerable candidate for the NHS.