The importance of journalism and freedom of speech in America

In the era of a president that expresses great disdain over the media and politics, journalism can seem as though it is on its last leg. In response to the growing unrest surrounding journalism and media in general, it is important to reassess journalism’s position in society.

Without journalism, the people would have no voice, no opinion, no truth. As one student said, “The job of a journalist – an integral one – is to search for truth in an untruthful world. Especially now, journalists need to step up to the plate and act vigilantly in dispelling all of the fake news that is floating around to keep people informed.” Journalism sheds light on ideas that would otherwise be pushed to the side, simply left in the dark. It keeps the public rightfully informed. Holding people accountable for their actions is essential for an ethical government – journalism does just that.

Journalism also makes way for human interaction – it creates a forum for discussion and legitimizes important topics.

Historically, the United States has revoked the right of free speech in the interest of national security. Under the Sedition Act passed by a Federalist majority congress in 1798 and signed into law by President John Adams, free speech was curbed in light of the impending French threat. Under the act, those who “write, print, utter, or publish…any false, scandalous and malicious writing” could be imprisoned.

However, the media has been under attack recently, especially by current President Trump. He refers to most media as “fake news” because many sources choose to paint him in a bad light and expose his faults. However, that is what news is supposed to do, and without the news uncovering the truth, the high and mighty can get whatever they want. With the news receiving criticism from such a high power, it spreads to the masses and inspires distrust between the news and the people.

Newspapers, specifically school newspapers, allow for the next generation of working Americans to learn the importance of media and the role it has in the lives of community members. The Voyager, as well as other papers, is used to spread information, current events and student issues throughout the school. The Voyager serves as a voice for the students at Eastern to express their opinions and discuss school related topics and issues. Through discussions of pressing topics, concerns, and praise about the school and what is happening in our community, it brings the school together, with many voices compiled into one source. The newspaper tells the stories that need to be told.

For students taking journalism in high school, they can learn how to take the information that is happening in the real world and present it in a way that informs people, teaches people, or could possibly change their minds about a topic. Not only is journalism a great way to boost writing skills, it also allows you to learn about the things happening around you.  Journalism makes you think and interpret, rather than just receive information. It gives young students, who are extremely important to society, a voice in school and in the world.

Now, more than ever, in an age where the media is “rigging” everything and is constantly made to look like the enemy, understanding the importance of journalism is extremely important. Contrary to the president’s belief, truthful reporting is not “Sad!” It’s right. It’s moral. And the free world would not be free without it.