There’s more than one path for your senior year

Senior year is a turbulent time. College is just around the corner. The options are endless. Taking a full year of eight classes as a senior is a tall order.

Eastern administration recognizes this issue and has made appropriate adjustments to the standard curriculum. As a senior, you now have more options than what meets the eye. There are now two additional paths to choose from for your senior year.

“College Now”, more commonly referred to as “Option 2”, allows students to take a college course at either Camden County College, also referred to as CCC, or have one of the professors from CCC come to Eastern. This opens the door for students hoping to earn  college level credits that they can use at CCC or a university of their choosing.

The program enables students to take four classes in the morning wheel. With this, they can meet their graduation requirements and attend college level classes two days during the week.

For students to be eligible for this program, they need to meet the minimum one hundred credit requirement, have their own transportation to Camden County College (if they are leaving Eastern for class), and must attend an information meeting in the spring at Eastern.

The curriculum rotates constantly depending on what class Eastern guidance counselors feel the students need the most. But if the class a prospective student wishes to take is not offered during that year, they can take a class they are interested in at CCC. Classes are offered on Mondays and Wednesdays or on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As for the other days, Option 2 allows those students to leave school early!

Guidance counselor Ms. Lattimer said that any student interested in the College Now program should “know yourself”. She emphasized the necessity of one’s ability to assess their time management skills. Managing your time is a critical portion of college and begins now with the first step. This is a class that has to be taken seriously. After all this is a course that has to be paid for to be a part of.

But what are the benefits for Option 2?

Camden County College professor, Professor Colborn, is acquainted with the program and comes to teach at Eastern. “I believe Option 2 is a great time slot for preparing the high school students for their future academic papers,” she said. “I also teach some essays that are handy in organizing the students’ thoughts, even if they plan on working in an office or owning their own business. We all could use a great way to get across what we are thinking on paper or social media platform.”

As for advice from current students in College Now, diligence is key. “It’s important to give kids a head start on obtaining those college credits if, of course, they have already fulfilled their high school credit obligations,” said senior Autumn Lawrysh. “Just make sure you actually do the homework and try to pay attention during class,” said Autumn Lawrysh, urging incoming Option 2 students.

Sure, getting college credits is important, but so is learning the ropes of college. Senior Layla Turner said that Option 2 has taught her more about how to structure a college level paper. “The class gives you more of the college vibe and how it it completely different from high school,” she said.

There is also the opportunity to leave school as early as Lunch A on days that that class does not meet. This allows for more time to do homework, sleep, and catch up on the latest Netflix shows. You can do this all while earning college credits two days during the week.

“Make sure that it’s what you wanna do because you do have to pay money for this,” said Layla Turner.

Professor Colborn said, “Like I said, your parents and I were not given the opportunity to start as many college classes in high school, so jump on it! Think about it this way: if you take at least two college classes before you graduate—you might shed off a winter or summer semester from your core classes. This means, you can be working in your grad classes or your actual career (depending on your passion), before some of your friends or family. Also, if you are going to take Option 2, really commit and be present, not just physically: bring your book, materials, and determination to class everyday. Your professors are not trying to be hard on you; we are really cheering you on in our minds (all the time) because we want you to succeed at this great opportunity!”

If Option 2 doesn’t seem like the right fit, Senior Early Release was new this year for seniors. Unlike Option 2, taking a college course is not a requirement.

“Students who are in good standing and eligible to graduate can take four courses here, a study hall after lunch and then leave school grounds,” Mrs Bunnell-Jackson said. This stops seniors from filling up their schedules with classes that won’t necessarily benefit them.

Senior Karly Borden chose this option specifically because she wanted to work more. Having the study hall after lunch also allows her to do any homework. Rob Wilson agreed, saying, “I get to work more hours that my peers can’t, so I can make a little extra money.”

Krishna Razo also took Senior Early Release to work more hours.

“I’m done all my credits and I wanted to make money and work earlier,” Razo said.

Most seniors take Senior Early Release with the intention of being able to go to work. “You can get better hours and that’s usually why students do it,” Mrs. Bunnell-Jackson said.

To those that are considering Option 3, Karly Borden said, “you should definitely do it because you can go into work earlier and then leave earlier at night”.

Some seniors, like Razo, have already started recommending Senior Early Release. “I already have suggested this option to sophomores and freshmen,” Razo said. Mrs. Bunnell-Jackson also encourages students to choose this option. Both options benefit students greatly throughout their senior year.

Out of 476 seniors, thirty-nine take “College Now” and nineteen take Senior Early Release. These two combined means that around 12% of seniors are enrolled in these options.

With the new addition of Senior Early Release and the already existing “College Now” program, it shows that there is more than one path to making the most of  your senior year.