The pros and cons of Early Action vs. Early Decision

If you’re applying to college at this time or maybe thinking of it, there’s a good chance you’ve heard of Early Action or Decision. Early Action is an early deadline but it is non-binding, meaning you are not officially committing to the college.

You can apply to multiple schools as Early Action. Early Decision, however, is binding meaning you must only apply to one college and agree that you will attend there.

Often, people seem to think that they’re the same thing which could be troublesome for future college applicants.   Many students are concerned with some of the binding details of Early Decision.

If you don’t feel strongly about a specific college, it’s better to apply for Regular Decision. Taking part in things like college tours, college programs, and research can help determine if that’s your dream college or not.

However, applying early will guarantee that your application will be looked at in greater detail instead of being filtered by the school or university’s admissions office.

In terms of Early Action versus Regular Decision there are some benefits to applying early.

“The benefits are you usually hear earlier and it also demonstrates to the college your genuine interest in the school particularly with Early Decision since you can only apply to one school Early Decision,” said Mrs. Bunnell-Jackson, one of many guidance counselors at Eastern.

Early Decision can benefit the applicant more since it increases the acceptance rate; however, you would need to be positive that you want to go to that university.

You could be thinking, “What if I’m not fit to apply for Early Action? What are some of the qualifications needed to apply?” Early Decision is recommended for a student who is 100% certain they wish to attend a particular school, but they must not forget to include their family in this discussion.

“…The family discussion needs to be had regarding if that college is a feasible option for the student in terms of finances, geography, etc.…” said Mrs. Bunnell-Jackson.

“Early Action is a great option for any college provided a student can complete the necessary application steps in time for the deadline.”

The only thing you need for Early Decision/Action is dedication to the college of your choice. Many, if not all, universities have the dates of registration and what they require on their websites.    

There are many benefits to ED and EA: It increases your chance of acceptance, allows you to be stress free for your senior year, cuts down on cost of applying to other colleges, and lets you focus on things like housing or other expenses.

However, there are also some cons you need to consider: pressure to decide, reduced financial aid, and little time to apply to other schools if you do get rejected.

From students, to teachers to guidance counselors, it is a universal view that EA and ED depend on the individual student, but neither one can harm you. It’s all about you as a student.