The Voyager

Filed under Entertainment

Netflix’s ‘Atypical’ is just typical

Back to Article
Back to Article

Netflix’s ‘Atypical’ is just typical

Netflix expresses what it’s like first hand to live as a teenager with autism on it’s show Atypical through the life of Sam Gardener.

The show is centered around the life of high school senior Sam who longs to be in a relationship. His family falls into place, offering heartwarming help as well as real life problems.

Sam’s family and friends help him through the journey of his last year of high school with advice in hope that he will get a girlfriend.

Comedic character and best friend of Sam, Zahid, gives him girl advice throughout the episodes which most often don’t work out the way Sam would’ve hoped.

His younger sister provides loving teases to help convey that Sam’s life isn’t much different than a “normal” high schoolers.

Netflix tried to express what it is like to have autism and how the world adds to this. However, many felt the show did a disservice to the autism community.

Reviewers such as Huffington Post explains the goods and bads about the show. One review from a writer who is atypical themselves explains how the show is stereotypical about what it’s like to be autistic.

Sam is obsessed with penguins and Antarctica and will find a way to slip the topic into most of his conversations which is a common autism stereotype.

Sam has more of a carefree attitude in the show. He doesn’t care that everyone thinks he’s weird and continues to live his life the way he wants. This is an inspiring aspect of the show but isn’t always accurate when it comes to autism.

Another complaint about the show included actor Keir Gilchrist, who plays Sam Gardner. Gilchrist is not atypical himself and neither are any of the actors in the show. Many viewers wished for a more accurate representation of the autistic community.

The show is entertaining and helpful in spread ing awareness for the autistic community but many aspects were not properly portrayed.

On Rotten Tomatoes, Atypical received 76% from critics and a 96% from the audience.

Netflix shows are often found as entertaining and binge worthy which does include Atypical. The show is funny but relatable to a high school student and causes viewers to really think about the life of Sam Gardner and others who are atypical.