Dacanay honored at NJ State House for her art

Six Eastern students were picked for their artistic abilities to have their works represented in New Jersey’s Youth Art Month Exhibition.

Art teacher Ms. Hughes poses with Denise Dacaney and the award-winning artwork

This month, six Eastern students were picked for their artistic abilities to have their works represented in New Jersey’s Youth Art Month Exhibition. One student, senior Denise Dacanay, was even chosen to represent Camden and Burlington counties.

“They took a plethora of pictures and I felt absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of attention I was receiving,” Dacanay said. “They would not stop taking pictures!”

She, along with her parents and art teacher Ms. Hughes, went to the State House in Trenton to see one of her works displayed. The colored-penciled piece is of a person’s face surrounded by thorny ivy.

“It was pretty big and official.” Dacanay said. “It’s a huge ceremony; we sit down and listen to a speaker. It was really inspirational.”

Ms. Hughes, the AP studio art teacher, felt proud to attend with her student. “It was a special experience.” Ms. Hughes said. “It felt really prestigious.”

Along with Dacanay, other Eastern students that had their art acknowledged were freshman Samaya Still, sophomores Colin Chiarcossi and Natalie Cruz, and seniors Jared Wilson and Sheil Desai. Their works were represented at the William G. Rohrer Memorial Library in Haddon Township.

Dacanay has always wanted to be admired for her artwork, and getting acknowledged at The State House made her feel honored. “It was as if my long desire to be artistically recognized came to fruition.”