I deeply fear student loans

As a high school senior with ambition, college is never far from my mind. I know I want a school that has the programs I need to be qualified for the career I want, that has a good reputation, that has a location and atmosphere that I will like, that is affordable, that has a good student-teacher ratio, and at that point might as well match my zodiac sign. 

At the end of the day, there are a couple schools that will give the opportunities I need, but the big question is expenses. My coworkers, family members, friends, and people I follow on social media, all can speak about the college loans that they are carrying with them to this day. Money has always been a little sensitive to me, and the idea of a huge bill hanging over my head during the years I’ll be getting married or buying a house is not ideal to me. 

As of 2018, there is over 1.5 trillion dollars in student debt emassed between 44.2 million borrowers. The average ten year loan takes twenty-years to pay off. The U.S. news and world report also explains that generally, loan forgiveness is taken into account at that time. 

I am not one to put things off. Having homework or an upcoming test on my mind absorbs my attention and having that sum of money on mind is not ideal. Hopefully, having three jobs helps out. 

Yes, I work three jobs, I’m a full time honors student, and I try to balance a social life. I believe I’m a good candidate for colleges, and I’m not as worried about getting admitted as I am about creating a cycle of debt for my children, grandchildren, and so on. 

Scholarship essays and opportunities are my best friends right now, but I fear they might just be a band-aid on a bullet wound. 

It helps to understand that there are countless high school seniors across the nation with similar anxieties, though a lot of Eastern students are getting help from parents. I still believe that isn’t always the answer, as parents can pass down loans they took out for you. 

Overall, my hope is to maintain financial independence and not get caught in a vicious cycle of loans. I know the hard work and strategic financial planning I practice with help me in the long run, but for now I’m working on maintaining my excitement for college, and handling each aspect as it comes.