Regional productions honored at annual Cappies Gala

Alex Mackle

Eastern’s cast of Les Mis performs “One Day More” at the Cappies Gala

How Is My Site?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
There are only few days more exciting to a theatrical student than an awards ceremony – as such, the Cappies Gala. The awards ceremony of awards ceremonies.

Billed as a celebration of students in all aspects of high school theatre, the Cappies Gala marks the official end to the annual Cappies season. The sparkling season in which student critics from Philadelphia and surrounding areas (such as Upper Darby, Bryn Mawr, and even Voorhees) traveled to other schools in order to both watch and review their respective plays and musicals for publishing in various newspapers.

The Cappies Gala is the ultimate send off for the theatre program.

After critics voted at Cardinal O’Hara High School, results were compiled for a Tony’s-style award program where vast numbers of students are nominated across all areas of a theatrical production. Ultimately, schools who are nominated for Best Play, Best Musical, and Best Song are invited to perform onstage at the Gala, held for its second year at Unionville High School in Unionville, Pennsylvania.

A significant portion of Eastern’s Les Miserables cast ended up making the hour-and-a-half drive to Unionville to perform One Day More as a best musical nominee.

Many students were clearly disappointed that this Sunday-evening event was not held at Eastern as it had been in 2014 and 2015. Students were responsible for attending rehearsals in Unionville Saturday May 20 for the performance on May 21.

As a result, students had to make the decision to skip post-prom festivities.

“It was very nice to see other productions and to see the talent that other schools had,” said Eastern junior Cyrena Kokolis, a nominee best set design. That is the point of the Cappies program, to bring students together through theatre.

Students from across the region mingled and truly got a flavor of other productions in the process.

Eastern won two Cappies awards. The Sound and Lighting Club won for Best Lighting for the second year in a row, and senior Gary Bowman won Best Male Vocalist for his portrayal of Jean Valjean.

The point of the program, as described in its mission, is not to dole out awards and prove who is the best. The purpose is to celebrate high school theatre and the achievements of students from all around.