Dual Credit classes are growing, offering many benefits

The+list+of+courses+available+for+dual+credit+is+growing.+Those+courses+highlighted+have+been+approved%2C+but+are+not+currently+offered.++

The list of courses available for dual credit is growing. Those courses highlighted have been approved, but are not currently offered.

The dual credit program is growing, and so are opportunities it presents. Over the past four years, the dual credit eligible classes has grown three fold.

The program allows for high school students taking dual credit eligible classes to receive Camden County Community College credit. 

The dual credit program has been around for a while, but in recent years the administration has focused on providing students with the opportunity to graduate with college credit. So they have reached out to Camden County Community College to see what classes could become dual credit eligible.

This year AP Language and Composition and AP Literature have been approved for dual credit. The process was quite simple. 

“All we did was submit our syllabus and have a meeting with the dean of the English department at Camden County. After that we were approved,” said AP Literature teacher Mrs. Pomerantz. 

Because their curriculum is already over the top, they didn’t have any changes to make to their curriculum. 

Supervisor of Guidance, Mr. Susko, said they have made an effort to identify classes that are eligible. “We are always going to look,” he said. 

With college credit being available via dual credit, AP registration could be impacted. “It is certainly a possibility that AP registration could be impacted, but the district’s philosophy is to provide the opportunity for credit,” said Mr. Susko.

The school is willing to take a hit on its AP registration numbers, if it means offering more opportunities for their students. Mrs. Pomerantz and Mrs. Steller haven’t seen much of an impact on their AP registration numbers. They both said that most of their students have registered for the AP Exam. “However, it is a wait and see game for the long term impacts. 

The students may have more opportunities, but they also have more decisions to make. Do they sign up for the AP test, Dual Credit, or both?

“My advice would be to do your research. Find out what the colleges you are looking at prefer and then make your decision,” said Mr. Susko. 

The Camden County credit is transferable to all New Jersey State schools, for example, Rutgers, TCNJ, Stockton, etc. However, once you leave the state it is up to the discretion of each school. “I have seen state schools and private schools, big schools and small schools, near schools and far schools accept the Camden County credit. It’s completely up to the school,” said Mr. Susko. 

When compared to AP credit, it isn’t really much different. Some colleges accept AP credit and some don’t. It’s a risk reward, but a risk worth taking. 

An AP test costs $94, while a dual credit class is $150 to apply for. Compare that to the thousands of dollars that same class costs, it’s a bargain. 

In the 2018-2019 school year, 339 students applied for dual credit, so students are taking advantage of the opportunity presented to them. With more classes eligible this year, the number should only go up.

A prime example of a student taking advantage of dual credit was last year. A student graduated Eastern with an associates degree (2 year degree) from Camden County. He did get some credit from option 2 (taking classes at Camden County), but got a majority of his credits from dual credit. 

Mr. Susko knows it’s a valuable opportunity. “To be able to graduate high school with college credit is awesome,” he said.