Bomb scare evacuates Voorhees Middle

Students were safe, protocols followed, but many wanted phones to communicate with loved ones.

Arianna Morales

Cars line up outside VMS where the school was evacuated on January 2. One 8th grader said he doesn’t leave his phone in his locker for this very reason. “I feel that students should have their phones in case of emergency,” he said. Having their phones on them during the entire event, seemed to offer a sanctuary opposed to a cauldron of overwhelming uncertainty that was difficult to digest at that moment.

Certainly no one expected a bomb threat.

But that was the New Year Surprise for students at Voorhees Middle School.

It is difficult for most students coming back to school after fourteen days of rest for Winter Break, complete with holiday cheer and resolutions.

But did that resolution include walking as an exercise?

The staff of Voorhees Middle found a bomb threat in the school. Mrs. Calabra, the principal, instructed the students to evacuate to the location, according to typical evacuation procedures: Lost Tree Hill. However, a new situation arose: the students were instructed to continue to The Performing Arts Center at Eastern. It was 1.5 miles away. The walk took over a half an hour. They were told to stay there until further notice.

My sister attends VMS. So I was anxious.

Mixed feelings of relief and fear loomed over VMS students. The handwritten threat was screenshotted, spreading like wildfire on Snapchat.

VMS has a no-phone-in-the-classroom policy, which encourages students’ phones to be kept in their lockers. However, emergency situations like the evacuation help students justify their need for their phones to accompany them at all times.

One 8th grader said not having her phone made her nervous and anxious, even when they had arrived at Eastern. It seemed nothing could ease their fear: gripped by an overwhelming force in which they could only express through their tears.

Many students became hopelessly focused on the chill of the day and the length of the walk that diluted the beauty of their surroundings as they were repainted as a dull landscape that represented the distance between VMS and Eastern. Those who obeyed VMS’ policy because they couldn’t contact their family or friends only heightened this fear.

The explanation for this unease is called separation anxiety. It is only heightened during situations of increased stress. In an era in which Internet connectivity seems absolutely vital to our survival, an addiction per se, to said connectivity allows for separation anxiety to create a sense of unease when we are disconnected from not only the Internet but also the actual devices themselves.

72 % of teens feel the need to immediately respond to texts, social-networking messages, and other notifications. 78 % of teens check their devices at least hourly, according to a 2016 Common Sense Media Report.

One 8th grader said he doesn’t leave his phone in his locker for this very reason. “I feel that students should have their phones in case of emergency,” he said. Having their phones on them during the entire event, seemed to offer a sanctuary opposed to a cauldron of overwhelming uncertainty that was difficult to digest at that moment.

A few minutes later, Eastern sent an email to the entire school, stating Eastern initiated shelter-in-place while VMS students were transitioned into the Performing Arts Center. Eastern students received no further email detailing the situation at VMS.

About 30 minutes later, my parents contacted both of us about the situation.

Anxiety bloomed at the back of my mind. Although I knew my sister was cooped up in the Performing Arts Center, I continued to worry.

When the young students reached their destination, she noted that the atmosphere was notably warmer and more comfortable than the former embrace of the cold outside.

One 8th grader said everyone just sat in the theater. Mr. Winsett, a vice principal, told everyone that they would be called by row to go to the bathroom.

The lock-in-place was thus no longer needed. Eastern students were released for their next class. I remember speed walking to my next class. It didn’t register that I would pass up one of the side entrances of the Performing Arts Center.

Luckily, a few older obnoxious boys reminded me: they made some ‘hilarious’ joke while I recognized the glare of my former teachers; my fear abated at that moment, but it didn’t ease the yearning to see my sister’s face. Even for a few seconds. I hastily scanned the auditorium, but to no avail. But I knew she was there along with her friends and the teachers.

According to CBN News, after the police completed a thorough search throughout VMS, along with the aid of their K-9s, no evidence of a bomb was found in which “The on-scene investigation was turned over to Detectives from our Criminal Investigation Bureau.”

After an hour of sitting, students were told that busses were going to pick us up. “The busses were filled as tight as possible,” an 8th grader said. “Once we got back to VMS we went to our home rooms. Then we ate lunch at about 2:00. We got dismissed as normal.”

The 8th graders finally felt at ease. Their phones waited for them.

Welcome, 2020.