Mr. Thomas: The Hidden Gem of Eastern

Walk into room 609 of Eastern’s art hallway and you’ll see that it’s filled to the brim with ceramics. Every inch of wall is plastered with tiles from past students, some of which are decades old. Each shelf is overflowing with mugs, statues, and vessels that are patiently waiting to be fired in the bisque. Every pottery wheel has the remains of its last test subject smeared all over it. Amongst this beautiful mess, you’ll find the hidden gem of Eastern Regional High School; Mr. Dennis Thomas. 

Chill to the core, Mr. Thomas is the conductor of the pottery orchestra. Each day he keeps the symphony music flowing by creating art and teaching new lessons, all while finding time to help anybody who’s instrument may feel out of tune. Above all, he is a man with a wildly unique story that poop is relevant and inspiring to anyone trying to chase their dreams. 

Mr. Thomas was born to a poor family in Williamsport Pennsylvania, a town famously known for the Little League Baseball World Series, but is “pretty dead other than that week in August” as Mr. Thomas will tell you. As a child, he spent most of his time in the woods hiking and fishing with friends. He was always in tune with his artistic side. “Some of my earliest memories include sitting at the kitchen table and drawing comic strips” Mr. Thomas explained.

In high school, he double majored in academics and art, but by the time graduation rolled around he, like many seniors, lacked direction. In his own words, he mentioned quite frankly how, “I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life.”

Fueled by his desires to live a better life, Mr. Thomas ultimately decided to go to college for academics rather than for art. “I grew up poor,” he said. “So I didn’t want to continue to be poor, I wanted to have a middle class existence.”

After five years at Temple University and a degree in journalism under his belt, Mr. Thomas ventured in freelance writing and later in the world of business. However, he felt that something was missing. 

He needed to go back to his roots, back to what he was passionate about; art. “My business work was very cut and dry, easily understood, linear, simple progression from here to there, Mr. Thomas said. “Art making and creative thought are different. It’s holistic. There’s challenges coming at you at all different times. I was determined to get a job to live off of in art.”

So, after speaking with his wife, Mr. Thomas decided to take a chance on himself. He created an art portfolio and was accepted into the Tyler School of Art at his old stomping grounds of Temple University. There he got his bachelor in fine arts with a license to teach, graduated with honors, and with a child on the way, began his search for a job. 

Starting off, Mr. Thomas taught people of all ages at community art organizations, but needed to find a better job to provide for his family. When a friend mentioned a job opening in Monmouth county, he seized at the moment. “Starting my teaching career there, I worked for the Freehold Regional High School district. I traveled between two schools and taught there for six years.”

After commuting such a long distance away from his home in Pennsylvania, Mr. Thomas decided to apply for a job closer to home at Eastern Regional High School. Over 100 applicants applied, but Mr. Thomas was the one chosen and has been here for nineteen years. 

Now, over two decades after deciding to take a leap of faith for what he loves, Mr. Thomas can still be seen commanding the orchestra with a conscious commitment to his students through his actions, words, and demeanor. He has a story that can not only be admired, but also can be learned from.

Few will find their passion and even fewer are able to make a life out of it. Mr. Thomas has been one of those lucky few.