Senior Antigone Antonakakis creates hit video to bring hope in a dark time

The video was put together by a joint effort of the officers reaching out to students to have them send in video memories of their high school experiences. These videos consisted of fun times in class, sporting events, school plays, and more. Kaylee Donnelly, the class Vice-President wrote a script for the opening of the video and the lines were split between certain students. 

Millions of high school seniors worldwide have missed out on long anticipated milestones such as senior trip, prom, graduation, and other events. Being away from their Eastern family has been very tough on many students who suddenly had their whole years taken away from them in an instant.

Senior Antigone Antonakakis, Vice-President of Student Council, sympathizes with her fellow seniors and wanted to do something to lighten everyone’s moods through social distancing.

After watching the video that the Eastern faculty sent out to students a few weeks ago, she decided that she wanted to do something similar to create a lasting memory that the graduating seniors could hold on to forever.

“I wanted to create an uplifting video for the Eastern Class of 2020 and seniors nationwide. My goal was for the video to be a beacon of optimism in the current climate of the Covid-19 Pandemic and compile memorable moments our class has experienced these past 4 years,” she said.  

The video was an instant hit, reaching over nine thousand views and shared between countless students. 

Antigone had not realized just how much of an impact she had made until she was sitting with her family watching the news and saw her video feature. 

“Senior Antigone Antonakakis created this video sharing the message that everyone should stay home for now in hopes that at least part of their senior year might be salvaged,” the anchor said.

Antigone expresses her gratitude with the video’s viewership by saying, “I never imagined it would receive as much recognition as it did. I am glad I was able to bring together our class and appreciate all the support from our teachers, families, and community at large.”

She specifically wanted to thank her fellow officers and classmates for the help they put into making the video. “The video would not have been possible without the Student Council and Class Officers contributions as well as the Senior class,” she said.

Just like so many others, Antigone has felt the negative effects of being forced to stay home. She is very glad to have made something to give hope to her and her classmates.

“It was time consuming, but the end result was very rewarding,” Antonakakis said.