Is Eastern Accessible?

In order for Eastern to be a safe space for everyone, inclusion of all students is essential. The South Jersey community can improve so many lives by prioritizing accessibility. 

In order for Eastern to be a safe space for everyone, inclusion of all students is essential

“Physically, students are protected within a safe school environment where respect for the individual and an appreciation of diversity are of utmost importance.” 

Plastered under Eastern’s vision statement for education, the school seemingly promotes diversity.  However, with the lack of accessible entrances and exits to our building, how can this statement remain true for all students? 

The breezeways of Eastern provide alternate routes to avoid hallway traffic. Not only do they help students get to class more efficiently, but the few seconds students spend outside can significantly boost serotonin levels. Yet not all students are granted this leisure. 

According to the U.S. Government Accessibility Office, ⅔ of school districts had facilities with physical barriers that may limit access. There are four significant entrances to Eastern’s building with no ramp accessibility: entering the 800 hallway, 900 hallway, 405-412 hallway, and 400-200 hallway. Each of these entrances are between 6 and 7 inches from the ground; this makes it virtually impossible for certain disabled students to enter or exit this part of the building. 

These doorways are significant to the flow of school traffic and ensure all students arrive to class on time. But, how can Eastern pledge accessibility and appreciation of diversity when certain students are denied efficient access to building entrances and exits? 

In 1990, lives of disabled Americans were significantly improved with the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This act guarantees accommodations for those with disabilities—. entrances and exits of public schools are included within the ADA. Under section 12183, public accommodations and commercial facilities are required to have access for disabled Americans. 

Despite this act, there are plenty of entrances and exits of our school without access for every student. Any person at Eastern who cannot utilize these entrances will have to go a completely different and longer route around campus. Consequently, these students will be late to class— which wouldn’t happen if they were able to travel through the breezeways.