Essential reading for all those considering college

Writing from experience, when preparing for a college visit there are certain questions that one should ask. Some of these questions are personal and should be a self-reflection, while others are more specified towards the school.

A lot of the information colleges tell you on their tours can be found on their website and is pretty generic information. It is your job at a college visit to ask the questions that are specific to you and cannot be found on their website.

Remember, you go on these college visits because you need to make an informed decision when you choose where you want to spend the next four years of your life. So, don’t be afraid to ask questions.

No pressure or anything.

Also, it is okay to get to know your tour guide. They are all students at that particular school and can most likely answer any questions you may have. Pick their brain about what it is like to be a student at said school.

Make sure you check out anything that is important to you on campus that might not have been highlighted on the tour. You can walk around the campus on your own after to see buildings that your tour guide may have missed.

If you know what you want to major in, you could always email a professor from that college and see if they

can meet with you. It never hurts to show interest and get your name out there. Trust me, I know how scary and

confusing of a time this is for everyone involved but it is important to stay calm. Try and see the whole picture, this way you can make the best decision possible!

Question you should ask yourself:

1. Why do I like this college?
  2. Can I see myself here for 4 years?
  3. Is the school too big or too small?
  4. Do I have the grades for the school?
  5. Is it a reach, target, or safety school?
  6. Do I like the feel of the school?
  7. Do I like the program this college offers for my major?

Questions to ask on the tour:

1. Can you describe a typical day of a student?
  2. What clubs/organizations are available?
  3. Is there a college town or place students hang out off campus?
  4. How big are each class on average?
  5. What kind of academic support is offered?
  6. Do you use teaching assistants?