Interact moves forward with new ideas to help community

Sophomore Krisha Rathore never expected to enjoy spending her time with Interact.

“After initially joining Interact because a few people told me that joining a volunteering club would benefit me in the future, I wasn’t sure what exactly I was up for,” she said. “Instead, it sparked my interest in community service.”

After years of planning the same five events each school year, requiring members to attend at least one event per semester, the Interact club is entirely reconstructing its membership policies.

This year, Interact is divided by teams based on student interest. Each team is led by a president and two team leaders who organize events and donation drives based on what organizations the students are hoping to help.

Interact Advisor Mrs. Molloy explained how she hopes the club will begin to reflect the students themselves, getting even more people involved.

There are six teams, each one whose primary goal is to help a different organization, including The Voorhees Animal Orphanage and Animal Welfare Association of New Jersey, Center for Family Services and LUCY Outreach, Samaritan Healthcare and Hospice in Voorhees and Cozies 4 Chemo, Habitat for Humanity and Project Freedom, Voorhees Pediatric Facility and Joshua Kahan Fund, Scott Davis Foundation and Support Our Troops and American Red Cross.

After moving away from one of the organizations that Interact previously partnered with for years, the Ronald Mcdonald House and Virtua Hospital are now becoming two primary organizations for Interact planned events.

Mrs. Molloy believes that after so many years of organizing the same events, “it was feeling a bit stale.”

To be considered an Interact member, students must attend one event planned by their team per semester, one event planned by another team per semester, and must donate one item to a donation drive planned by their team.

Many students are embracing the membership policy changes as they enjoy being involved in so many organizations.

Senior Mia Prowisor is one such team president who has embraced the policy changes, believing the new changes to be more realistic in helping more students get involved.

“There’s more responsibility placed on the officers this year than last, because we’re the ones searching for events within our given “team” areas,” Prowisor said. “In the past, we’ve had set events that the advisors have planned. This definitely is a move forward in teaching high school students real responsibility.”

As Interact officers remain responsible for finding organizations for their teams to partner with, they realize the difficulty and effort needed as organizations cancel or limit volunteer opportunities planned for Interact members. Officers need to keep an open mind when planning events because not everything will work out, Prowiser explained.

Although most of the events from previous years are cancelled, Interact has much planned for the next few months.

Team leaders are meeting to discuss “hands on events” for members in late March. The senior luncheon and spring play, a mandatory event for all Interact members, are planned for the end of March as well. Additionally Mrs. Molloy is hoping to partner with the Health and PE department’s Bruce Jackson Day this spring.

“This year is a gigantic leap towards a brighter future for the Interact Club,” Prowisor said. “I hope that future officers embrace this change, and the club continues to move forward towards helping more and more great causes.”