6 Mental Health Hacks to Help You Ace This School Year

Keeping good mental health is important, not only to keep our minds healthy and calm, but also to prevent burnout as the school year drags on.

Shreya Komar

The best way to take care of ourselves is to focus on the things we can control.

Yup, you know it! It’s back-to-school season, and the world couldn’t be a more exciting place. 

With enticing posters of back-to-school supplies, notebooks, clothes, and even fitness routines, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. It’s often a misconception that one has to reinvent themselves for a new school year and make monumental changes in the way they look or behave, but it’s the small changes that go a long way. 

One of the aspects of our health that we often neglect is mental health. Keeping good mental health is important, not only to keep our minds healthy and calm, but also to prevent burnout as the school year drags on. So, here are six mental health hacks to help you get through this school year. 

Build Meaningful Relationships 

Building meaningful relationships is one of the most important ways that you can keep good mental health. 

As humans, we often like to be part of a community. This isn’t surprising. Without family or friends, we lack the essential support systems and people who will be there for us when we need them. 

So, in short, meet new people, have insightful discussions, and make sure to connect with your family because those are the moments that have the capacity to fade the anxiety that comes with school work, and allow you to appreciate the greater community you’re a part of. 

Prioritize Self Care 

This one should be self-evident: prioritize yourself, and your happiness. 

Make time to read a book, meditate, take a walk, observe your surroundings, sleep, or binge a good show with your siblings. Think about how any decisions or changes that you are planning on making will affect you and your well-being. 

Self-care looks different for everybody. Do what works for you.

Limit Your Social Media!

I think everyone knew this was coming. 

Social media has proven to waste lots of precious time. It’s surprising how much time you gain simply by limiting your screen time. 

This is especially helpful for those of you who are procrastinators (no more staying up past midnight to do your homework). 

So, instead of scrolling through Instagram, take some time and focus on yourself. Do activities that will help you clear your mind, such as meditating and exercising. Most importantly, get an extra hour or two of sleep. 

Set Attainable Goals 

Stop being so hard on yourself. Set goals that you know you’ll be able to achieve. 

Preparing for college can seem daunting, but it doesn’t mean you should be overextending yourself. This doesn’t mean limit yourself; it just means you should know when to take a step back and focus on your existing workload.

Sometimes, setting too many difficult goals can take a toll on your mental health. Sacrificing your mental health is just not worth it in the long run. 

Try your best. Your best is enough.

Comparing (almost) Never Helps 

From the dawn of time, humans have compared themselves to others. 

Unless you’re looking at others and learning from them, comparing yourself to your peers can be toxic and deteriorate your self-worth and mental health significantly. 

It’s important to acknowledge that everyone is on their own path. Comparing yourself to others just doesn’t make sense because you are your own person. 

Everyone has a different story, which you may or may not know. Everyone has had their ups and downs. Comparing yourself to your peers can skew your perception of reality.  

Do What You Can Do. Do What You Like.

High school activities and clubs can get overwhelming. Overcommitting to too many clubs can be draining and counterproductive. 

It’s important that you do the things that bring you joy — not the activities that you think look impressive. At the end of the day, you should be proud of the hours you’re devoting to your hobbies and activities. 

Make sure that whatever you choose to do is within your capacity. Otherwise, devoting yourself to too many extracurriculars may lead to burnout and stress.

High school is an emotional roller coaster for everyone. The best way to take care of ourselves is to focus on the things we can control. 

It’s important to remember to enjoy the four-year journey because, at the end of the day, we are in high school to learn inside and outside of the classroom. Make sure that you are constantly reflecting on the insights you’ve gained and are open to the lessons high school has yet to teach you.