The Evolution of TI-84 Calculators

TI-84 calculators have revolutionized the way basic problems are solved. Twenty years from now, we could be experiencing technology at heights we would have never imagined.

From the primordial swamps, technology has evolved. Image from Canva.AI by W. Bowne

Isn’t it insane how calculators are able to compute any calculation and produce an answer for any mathematical problem? The human brain is extremely intelligent, but some of the newest calculators behave like a human brain, just within a tiny, technological screen.

In 1967, Texas Instruments released their first calculator which was used to perform basic functions and operations. In 1974, however, barriers were broken and the first scientific calculator was invented. Now here’s the big question: how are scientific calculators able to compute absolutely every mathematical equation or function?  

Calculators follow a distinct pattern to perform mathematical calculations. “Integrated circuits then use those strings of 0s and 1s to turn transistors on and off with electricity to perform the desired calculations. Since there are only two options in a binary system (0 or 1), these can easily be represented by turning transistors on and off, since on and off easily represent the binary options (on = 0 and off = 1 or vice versa).” 

These circuits behave in an orderly manner and through electric currents, which stimulate calculations and computations. These technological systems were reinvented in 2004, when Texas Instruments created the first TI-84 plus graphing calculator. 

These calculators are commonly known for what students use each day for high school and college mathematics courses. Though students use these every single day, the exceptional technological abilities and modern programming is neglected as they fail to realize the barriers broken by computational abilities.

It takes a great amount of engineering and time to continue to improve upon new technology and create a successful device to appeal to students who are enrolled in math classes or taking the SAT or PSAT. 

TI-84 calculators have revolutionized the way basic problems are solved. To give a perspective, in early times, unusual methods were used as in counting with stones and seeds, but as years have passed, mathematics have tested people logically, mentally, and academically which explains the integral importance of calculators and how they correspond to the time period of relevance.

Who knows? Twenty years from now, we could be experiencing technology at heights we would have never imagined.